Edder
Edder asks:
Q:

Shouldn't the parent be present when school administrators and campus police question a student about an off-campus incident?

my son who is a 5th grader was taken out of class one day and called on to the principles office where the principle and campus cop were both present my son was questioned  about a cupcake throwing incident on the walk home one day they have my son on tape throwing the cupcake at a friend the administration thought he was throwing rocks at a house which is false they showed my son the tape and i am infuriated that i was not present or notified are they in the wrong for doing so i believe it is harassment
In Topics: Working with school administrators, My Relationship with my child's school

|

Hi Edder,

I can understand why you feel anxious about this situation. It does seem a bit like a criminal investigation - given the surveillance video and the involvement of the "campus cop". But since it wasn't actually a criminal investigation, and since your son wasn't charged with anything, I think it was within the principal's right to speak to your son in the office without you. I'm sure it was scary for him, and for you, to learn that the campus security officer was involved but if they actually thought your son was throwing rocks at a house, then having the security officer there was the right decision. If it really was just a fun joke between two friends, and the cupcake recipient said the same thing, the meeting was probably over pretty quickly with no punishments given.

If that's what happened and you're still feeling upset, you should ask to have a meeting with the principal to talk about the situation. But make sure when you go to the meeting you're ready to talk AND listen. You can let the principal know that you were surprised you weren't present for the meeting and ask what the policy is about bringing parents in for those situations. If you go to the meeting with questions, and not accusations, you'll have a better chance of moving forward in a productive relationship with the school and being in a better position to advocate for you son.

0
0