Anonymous
Q:

I am a adult with ADHD and dyslexia

I have lost many jobs because of my ADHD and dyslexia I wonder If I have another undiagnosed condition, I say things that are what I am thinking it just spills out this happens when I am on my meds is this part of ADHD or could I have another condition thats not diagnosed? I have been reprimanded by 3 different supervisors i say i cant help it they say yes you can. Please help me
In Topics: ADHD & attention issues

|

I would seek out a psychiatrist who is familiar with Autism Spectrum Disorders such as Asperger's Syndrome or a neuropsychologist to help. These mental health workers are more likely to be open to learning issues. One way is to call your local hospital's community office or ask your local mental health service.  Many adult men and women can have multiple learning disabilities and personal issues that affect work, however, they are capable adults who can have relationships, children and hold positions of leadership.  good luck for the start of what I hope for you is a journey of personal discovery.

1
0

GinaPera
GinaPera writes:
Before you go looking for other conditions, you need to make sure that you are receiving optimal treatment for your ADHD.  

As someone who has been an advocate in the ADHD community for 10 years, I can tell you that much medical care for ADHD is sub-standard.

For example:

--The medication you're taking might not be the best choice for you,  the dosage is not optimal, and coverage isn't lasting long enough.

--You might  even need a secondary medication; about 75% of adults with ADHD have a co-existing condition such as anxiety, depression, bi-polar disorder, and so forth.

--You might need to change other lifestyle habits (eliminating caffeine, for example, or getting exercise in the morning) to help the medications be more effective.

--You might need practical strategies to overcome bad habits such as "blurting." This is especially true if your ADHD diagnosis/treatment came late in life, and you had been a "blurter" for many years prior.

What you've described sounds like classic ADHD impulsivity -- speaking without thinking. So, I would focus on better strategies for dealing with that.

Gina Pera, author
Is It You, Me, or Adult A.D.D.?

1
0