Pokahantis
Pokahantis asks:
Q:

I am an adult age 48. I think I may have Visual Processing Disorder? How do I go about being assessed?

In Topics: Learning issues and special needs

|

If you would like to be reliably tested, the ideal approach is to go to a licensed psychologist. I would look in the phone book or do a search online for psychologists in your area who indicate that they specialize in adult assessment. A neuropsychologist would most likely have the most complete experience in visual processing issues.

Unfortunately, however, assessments can be expensive, so if money is an issue, you can look for a community mental health clinic or psychology training program in your area (again look to an online search engine or the phone book). All psychologists must complete 1500 hours of clinical work and training predoctorate, and they often complete hours in a university counseling clinic. If there is a university near you, check to see if they have a clinical psychology training program and whether they are operating clinic. You can get wonderful quality care and assessment (all trainees are supervised by licensed psycholgists) for a reduced fee.

Warm regards,

Laura Kauffman, Ph.D.
Licensed Psychologist
Education.com JustAsk Expert
www.drlaurakauffman.com

2
0