Anonymous
Q:

Does anyone have advice about what to do under these circumstances?

My child was accepted in art school on the basis of talent excluding academics.  Since my child's acceptance they have grown as an artist but the teacher bullies them every day.  The teacher says things to my child:  "You will never amount to anything.  Your father's job sucks (father has a respectable job).  You could never be a representative of this school. You will never amount to anything in that school.  You are too fat."  The teacher compares my child to other artists and belittles my child because my child does not get a 4.0 grade point average.  Then he expects my child to do well.  When spoken to this teacher regarding this the teacher belittles my child again making even more negative remarks such as stating that even if my child won an award or was accepted into any classes outside of the school it was only because they wanted the money. We feel that we can't pull the child from the school because it would jeopardize his future.  The support surrounding this teacher far outweighs the support of my child.  My child is suffering at the hand of this teacher and we are lost as to what we can do short of pulling the child which would really be detrimental to the child's future.
In Topics: Working with my child's teacher(s)

|

You feel this situation is unacceptable. I also understand that when you spoke with the teacher about his critical behavior and bullying, he continued to belittle your son in your presence. (I don't know the age of your son, but I agree that this is unacceptable and harmful to your son.)

I'm not sure seeking another school would be detrimental to your child's future. Being maligned by this person seems to cause more harm.

Have you spoken with the school administrator?
Have you put in writing your concerns about this teacher?
What other programs in your area provide training in art?

You may consider transferring at the end of the term. That natural time for transition allows for your son to complete his credits.

0
0