fioni1
fioni1 asks:
Q:

I'd appreciate any advice on how to help my daughter.  She's a slow reader and having trouble with math.

" I have a 10 yr old daughter, who is a slow reader and is having problems with math too. Can anybody give me advice on how to help her? I have try everything with her. We help her with her reading and math at home, but when she gets to school her teacher tells me a different story. Is there a wedsit were I can go to. Please any advice would help."

Mary
In Topics: Helping my child with school work and home work

|
KidAngel
KidAngel writes:
Hi Mary,
Its sounds like you have either a 4th or 5th grader that is experiencing "skill gaps€". This means that in previous grades there were some basic skills in reading and math that she did not get a good foundation in order to apply new skills. That€™s what school does. They go by a "curriculum" which is Latin for "move forward". So, the teachers have kept "moving forward" and you daughter is struggling to layer new skills on top of a shaky foundation. It€™s like having to put together a puzzle when you do not have all the pieces. This is the reason why she has a hard time keeping up to her current grade level. Doing her homework with her is only a band aid. If she doesn€™t have the foundational skills needed and you are helping her get to the correct answer its not going to stick. This is a very common issue with students that do not have a diagnosed LD€"s but still are not keeping up. At one point in my career I worked for a Nationwide Supplemental Educational Service Company that had Learning Centers all over the US and that was their business.  They became a multi-million dollar company serving the needs of the students that had fallen behind due to €œskill gaps€". When I left that company they were charging $50 an hour with a minimum program of $7000 and higher. Parents were taking out loans in order to get their student back up to the proper grade level. One reason these type company due so well is because our public school system here in the US does not address missing skills from previous grades. It is up the parent and or guardian to get it repaired. Now, if you do not have the monies needed to enroll your daughter in one of these companies then what is a parent to do? I was shopping over the weekend at Costco. I am always looking for workbooks for my grand daughter get her some €œextra credit€" work she can do at home to stay on task. There are workbooks out there that you can buy that are designed per grade and per subject. So whatever grade your daughter is currently in, go to Costco or a good book store and start picking up workbooks from past grades that you can do with her and that is how you will figure out what skills she has and what is missing. I say start with first grade and go all the way till you do all previous grade workbooks. You need to explain to her what your intention is by giving her this €œeasy€" work. Most of the earlier material she should know, but you will also find the skills that she doesn€™t know and the workbook will give her skill practice for those skills.  As far as a €œwebsite€" that you were looking for, I couldn€™t find any. I could however find Book Companies that offered €œworkbooks€" for the Elementary grades. I hope I have given you a way to address your daughter s need and I thank you for being invested in her academic success. Good Luck on your new adventure! Make it fun!!
Barbara Antinoro
Educational Counselor
Kid Angel Foundation
Education.com Team

0
0
ZMom
ZMom writes:
We also have a 10 year old daughter that struggles with math and reading (especially comprehension).  We go through our school district and they use the K12 online program which is amazing.

We had her in public school K, 1st and 2nd grade and she got zeros in every subject and they just wanted to pass her onto 4th grade.  She was making no progress and nowhere near grade level.

K12 program assessed her as 2 years behind and that is where we started her at.  She is still 2 years behind but is learning and been doing the program for 2 years, so there is a lot of improvement.

You can also have your child evaluated by a NeuroDevelopmental Pediatrician as we did and they can give you some possible answers or diagnosis.

0
0
kidscanlearn
kidscanlearn writes:
Hello Fioni1,
Check out this web site for reading, writing, and spelling. It will blow you away and your daughter will be forever grateful. BHIbooks.net
It is a site that can not be matched when it comes to reading. It uses a book called Spell to Write and Read. Wonderful resource and can help any one at any age.
Here is a great site for Math. MathUSee.com
As a teacher I couldn't be more happy with these programs.
Both of these programs approach math and reading with such clear instruction that it is hard NOT to LEARN.
Hope this helps.

1
0