sam1997
sam1997 asks:
Q:

does anyone have any advice for implementing a behavioral plan for a14 years old boy with asperger syndrome

My son English teacher ,also head of special ed dept,  contact me saying that Sam is displaying some behavioral problems. She mentioned CALLING OUT, FLIPPING THE PEN, NOT STARTING HIS DO NOWS RIGHT AWAY AND SOMETIME GETTING UP TO SHARPEN A PENCIL. SHE SAID SHE BELIEVES IN POSITIVE APPROACHES (she asked me to sent to school  ideas of positive reinforcers)She said that instead of having a CSE meeting to ask for an amendment to his IEP to increase autism consultant hours and request a FBA(behavioral ass).I agreed but then when the school psychologist called me to tell me about their informal plan, I completely disagree(out the classroom after few warnings and when he comes back if one of these mentioned behaviors occurs he will be sent to assistant principal who is in charge of discipline problems and he will be treated like any other student in the building). This is why I did not sent the request for amendment to his IEP to perform the FBA . I told her I want to meet with her to discuss this. How negative consequences(punishment)can help him stop flipping the pen, calling out or starting his do nows right away? These so called behavioral problems are related to his disability(social impairment and executive functions problems) I never heard about a neurotypical student doing this and being sent to AP and possibly facing disciplinary actions. Yesterday,first time ever, he was sent to AP for being rude.Any suggestions for appropriate and positive interventions? Help! Thank you  
In Topics: Special education, Autism & Aspergers Syndrome

|

I can tell from your letter that this has been an ongoing situation which may need attention at a local level. As a writer for JustAsk, I would suggest that you consider having a team meeting with all parties and perhaps include a child advocate or member from the Autism / Asperger's communities.

Also, for additional information from other parents who have children with Aspergers's you may wish to check out these websites:

http://www.Thecoffeeklatch.com
http://www.TheSpiritofAutism.org
http://www.KylesTreehouse.org

0
0

LynnKudlacz
LynnKudlacz , Teacher, Student, Parent writes:
Does he have a written schedule to help him remember to stay on task? Is the pen flipping his way of thinking? Calling out is often seen in kids on the spectrum. As is the getting up to sharpen a pencil (can he have several on his desk in case one breaks)
Maybe reminders written on the desk would help him remember.
Is he finishing his work in time to be able to go do something of a reward to him (computer time?)

0
0