mlkforever
mlkforever asks:
Q:

Advice needed for my 10yr old and 6yr old in regards to common sense and life situations

I have a 6yr old son, and a 10yr old daughter (also a 2month old daughter, so advice will be stored for a later date for reference).  I feel as if my two oldest seem to lack plain common sense sometimes and do not know how to teach this to them.  Today's simple problem:  my son came to me telling me he spilled his water on the floor and wanted to know what to do.  It's not his first spill, so why didn't he think to get a towel and clean it up first then tell me, before the spill got worse.  I know this particular ex. is probably knitpicking but there are so many every day.
In Topics: My child's growth and development

|

Dear Milkforever:

Education changes behavior.  keep teaching what to do.  If they don't get it, the next question is "How are they doing in school?  Does the teacher notice this also?  Lead by example and don't be discouraged.  At 6 and 10 years old there is still room for "getting it"

Best wishes.

Wayne A. Yankus, MD, FAAP

0
0