mzgee asks:

Need Advice on the next step

I have a 9yr old son who has been giving me problems since he was 5 yrs old. He has an IEP, first they labeled him emotional disturb than they labeled him adhd with impulsive. I have lost 2 jobs just to make sure that he is being treated fairly in his school. Yet i have seen that the school staff itself and the Principal has giving up on him. Often times they have came up to me and said they just don't know what to do with him to help him. He's one of the best readers and mathematician in his class. he is involved with church actives and mentoring actives they all have told me he is a wonderful child. I know that it is because of the sett9ing. the Principal or guidance counselor have any suggestions. The PSY. of the place a behavioral; plan in place for him. but yet he needs more. he is on concerta 56 mg, having been on other drugs. He is a very bright boy yet needs constant redirection and in which frustrates him and causes him to feel he must defend himself not hitting but just walking away or just shutting down all together. He is a b average student,basketball ans soccer teams is two of his favorite activates. But he just does not seem to feel accepted and everyday he struggles with different attitudes from students, teachers and has lost many friends. They have told me that the next step is district 75 and thou i am not saying that dis. 75 is bad, it is to restrictive for him. what should i do? I love my son and know that he is capable of achieving great things.
In Topics: Special education
> 60 days ago



May 16, 2011
Subscribe to Expert

What the Expert Says:

First of all, kudos to you for being such a strong advocate for your son.  I would suggest consulting with a licensed child psychologist in your area to get the individualized support that you need to address his difficulties.  Some children benefit from services outside of the school setting, and meeting with a child psychologist is a great place to start.  In addition to meeting with you and your child for therapy or testing sessions at their office, a child psychologist can also help you advocate for your son's needs during IEP meetings to make sure that the services being provided for him are just right.      

You can find a licensed psychologist in your area in your phone book or by following the link below to the American Psychological Association.

Best of luck!
Polly Dunn, Ph.D.
Licensed Child Psychologist
Twitter @childpsychmom
Did you find this answer useful?

Additional Answers (1)

Sarpax writes:
I have a chat forum that may help you.  It's a support group for parents with special need kids.  If I were you I'd see if I could get him transferred to a different school.  Have you tried behavioral therapy?  You may also need to change his medication.  My son was on Concerta and it worked for a little while and then just quit working. His psychologist said that she hasn't had much luck with it on a child who is very impulsive.
> 60 days ago

Did you find this answer useful?
Answer this question


You are about to choose ${username}'s answer as the best answer.

Cancel | Continue

*You can change the best answer in the future if you think that you received a better answer

How likely are you to recommend to your friends and colleagues?

Not at all likely
Extremely likely