MrsLenz
MrsLenz , Parent asks:
Q:

Any advice for talkative kids?

My son is currently in fifth grade. He has been in the same school system since Kindergarten. Last year they tried to tell me he had ADHD, so we went through all the tests and turned out he had an overall IQ of 129 and a verbal IQ of 135! He wasn't paying attention because he was bored, what did the school do? NOTHING! They are still telling me something is wrong with him and that he is talking too much! They refuse to give him harder work because they "tried ONCE but he complained". Yes I am sure he did, and you gave in so, he won! Good job! Not all "gifted" kids act the way you think they should! More gifted kids fail than excel, because no one takes the time to deal with them appropriately!
Now he has to "Talk only when he is supposed to" or he has to go to the office for more than an hour at a time! I am lost! I know how smart and sweet my kid is, I also know how awful some of the other kids have been to him! I also know he talks A LOT, he started at 10 months, but he is an only child and so am I....we talk all the time! Am I overreacting?
In Topics: School and Academics, Discipline and behavior challenges

|

It sounds like you have a very bright and socialable young man on your hands. As a parent it is our job to be advocates for our children.

If you are concerned with the plan of action that the school has set for your son then you should talk with your school. Start with the teacher and see if you together can come up with a more acceptable plan of action.

Maybe your son could bring some books to school that he could read when he got done with his work. Or a journal that he would use to write or draw in.

If you don't feel that the teacher is responding to you then go to the principle and if necessary you can go to the schoolboard.

1-800-448-3000

0
0

sterlingandkristi
sterlingand... writes:
In first grade my son was taking his scissors out of his desk and cutting his clothes and his hair because he was bored! I talked to him and realize what the problem was. I talked to the teacher and she said she was having him be a "tutor" of sorts for the kids around him. That was doing nothing for him. He was at school to be a student, not to be a teacher! We asked around and found another school that was so wonderful! The teacher took several boys from her class and had them stay after school once a week to work on a new math concept. Then during class, she would excuse them to a common area to work together on the new concept while the rest of the class continued with the regular curriculum. He loved it! The next year he tested into the gifted and talented program. Sending him to the office is definitely NOT the answer!! My son will be in 6th grade next year and is doing amazing in school! He also is very social and I put him in as many clubs (the free ones. LOL) as I could without burning him out.

Don't give up on finding what is best for your son!! Good luck!

0
0
momwhoisspreadingtheword
momwhoisspr... writes:
We have had a similar situation with are very smart 9 year old and the system wanting to label our daughter (4th grade) with ADHD/ADD or Executive Function/Self-regulation.  Once we eliminated certain foods from her diet and went completely organic and gluten free plus added focus supplements she has had better focus at school, no tantrums at home, more control of her impulsivity, no anger issue, less frustration and less interruptions… she actually points out now when I interrupt her.  She is also able to retain information better.  We completely cut out red-dyes, artificial flavorings, high fructose, and wheat.  No more tummy aches at bed time and she seems more in-control with her talkativeness and we have only made the change 25 days ago.  I am for the first time able to see the difference in her behavior from a "regular" child behavior and an “off” behavior.  This new healthy way of eating has given her a chance to make the improvements she so desperately has wanted to do all along.  Every child is different and you should always consult with your doctor on supplements.  We are playing catch up now on her social skills, but she now has the solid foundation to move forward.  
Take care and be healthy!
I have been doing a lot of reading and research on the effects of processed foods etc. and what is happening to our health in America.  Our whole families health has benefited from this.

0
0
Lisa18967
Lisa18967 writes:
Most Talkative: Stories from the Front Lines of Pop Culture
From a young age, Andy Cohen knew one thing: He loved television. Not in the way that most kids do, but in an irrepressible, all-consuming, I-want-to-climb-inside-the-tube kind of way. And climb inside he did. Now presiding over Bravo's reality TV empire, he started out as an overly talkative pop culture obsessive, devoted to Charlie's Angels and All My Children and to his mother, who received daily letters from Andy at summer camp, usually reminding her to tape the soaps. In retrospect, it's hard to believe that everyone didn't know that Andy was gay; still, he remained in the closet until college. Finally out, he embarked on making a career out of his passion for television.

The journey begins with Andy interviewing his all-time idol Susan Lucci for his college newspaper and ends with him in a job where he has a hand in creating today's celebrity icons. In the witty, no-holds-barred style of his show Watch What Happens Live, Andy tells tales of absurd mishaps during his ten years at CBS News, hilarious encounters with the heroes and heroines of his youth, and the real stories behind The Real Housewives. Dishy, funny, and full of heart, Most Talkative provides a one-of-a-kind glimpse into the world of television, from a fan who grew up watching the screen and is now inside it, both making shows and hosting his own.

0
0