MrsLenz
MrsLenz , Parent asks:
Q:

Any advice for talkative kids?

My son is currently in fifth grade. He has been in the same school system since Kindergarten. Last year they tried to tell me he had ADHD, so we went through all the tests and turned out he had an overall IQ of 129 and a verbal IQ of 135! He wasn't paying attention because he was bored, what did the school do? NOTHING! They are still telling me something is wrong with him and that he is talking too much! They refuse to give him harder work because they "tried ONCE but he complained". Yes I am sure he did, and you gave in so, he won! Good job! Not all "gifted" kids act the way you think they should! More gifted kids fail than excel, because no one takes the time to deal with them appropriately!
Now he has to "Talk only when he is supposed to" or he has to go to the office for more than an hour at a time! I am lost! I know how smart and sweet my kid is, I also know how awful some of the other kids have been to him! I also know he talks A LOT, he started at 10 months, but he is an only child and so am I....we talk all the time! Am I overreacting?
In Topics: School and Academics, Discipline and behavior challenges

|

It sounds like you have a very bright and socialable young man on your hands. As a parent it is our job to be advocates for our children.

If you are concerned with the plan of action that the school has set for your son then you should talk with your school. Start with the teacher and see if you together can come up with a more acceptable plan of action.

Maybe your son could bring some books to school that he could read when he got done with his work. Or a journal that he would use to write or draw in.

If you don't feel that the teacher is responding to you then go to the principle and if necessary you can go to the schoolboard.

1-800-448-3000

0
0

sterlingandkristi
sterlingand... writes:
In first grade my son was taking his scissors out of his desk and cutting his clothes and his hair because he was bored! I talked to him and realize what the problem was. I talked to the teacher and she said she was having him be a "tutor" of sorts for the kids around him. That was doing nothing for him. He was at school to be a student, not to be a teacher! We asked around and found another school that was so wonderful! The teacher took several boys from her class and had them stay after school once a week to work on a new math concept. Then during class, she would excuse them to a common area to work together on the new concept while the rest of the class continued with the regular curriculum. He loved it! The next year he tested into the gifted and talented program. Sending him to the office is definitely NOT the answer!! My son will be in 6th grade next year and is doing amazing in school! He also is very social and I put him in as many clubs (the free ones. LOL) as I could without burning him out.

Don't give up on finding what is best for your son!! Good luck!

0
0