Q:

Do you have any advise to help my 8 year old become more socially interested and accepted by his peers?

"My son (8) has a twin sister and has been increasingly showing signs of social dependence on her. I should also add that he is the only boy in a house with 3 other girls - His father and I are divorced. The twins have been in the same bedroom since (before) birth and he very much rides on the heals of her social life. He is very content playing with her friends (or his older sister's (10) as well), but has not made much if any initiative to have "buddies" of his own. If he is not with his twin or older sister, he immediately becomes bored and does not know what to do with himself. I need to give him an assignment, like read, write or ride you bike for 1/2 hour - otherwise he will sit on the couch and stair at the ceiling -(tv or nintendo he can do just fine for hours if I would let him) or annoy especially his (twin) sister. I've have just changed the bedroom situation - they are now in separate rooms.  Sometimes he just doesnt seem interested in making his own friends, but other times he seems lonely and sad when he sees his sisters going off with their friends more and more without him.Do you have any advise to  help him become more socially interested and accepted by his peers? Thank you."

Asked by Shari in commenting on the article, "When To Separate Twins": http://www.education.com/magazine/column/entry/...
In Topics: Friendships and peer relationships, Parenting multiples

|

mayfieldga
mayfieldga , Teacher writes:
There are so many problems with peer pressure: to conform, to be accepted, to get along and not be rejected.  I am thinking, is he still happy?, although bored.  I am thinking perhaps he may be socialized to not be around other boys his age or have much less in common.  I am thinking of hobbies he may learn such as chess, swimming or other areas. You can then produce some interest, later skill, and from there association with like persons or groups.

I think a lot of boys are having to learn how to see their world on their own these days.

0
0
Anonymous