schwartztodd
schwartztodd , Parent asks:
Q:

At what age does a child typically begin preschool?

My daughter is just 9 months old.   However, I've been told that parents begin to look and evaluate preschools even before a child turns a year old.  I imagine this varies depending on the number of resources available by location but I'm still shocked by how early this research seems to begin.  Any help would be appreciated.
In Topics: Preschool, Choosing a preschool, Preparing my child for preschool

|
Redwood_City_Mom

Best Answer!

Hi Todd,

Most preschools require students to be "2.9" (two years and nine months old) when they start. Many also require that students are potty trained.

But you're right that many parents start researching, and registering, much earlier. Great preschools often have wait lists that are years long. And getting your first kid in is the toughest as younger siblings of enrolled or former students typically automatically get placed at the top of the list.

By the way, when you are ready to start looking for a school for your daughter, the article I'm putting in the resource area may be helpful. It's a list of 10 things to look for in a good preschool.

Good Luck!
4
0

keelinnkarlee
keelinnkarlee writes:
Look for daycares, schools and training centers that use Montessori methods. Here's alittle info for more go to montessori.edu

"Montessori is not a system for training children in academic studies; nor is it a label to be put on educational materials. It is a revolutionary method of observing and supporting the natural development of children. Montessori educational practice helps children develop creativity, problem solving, critical thinking and time-management skills, to contribute to society and the environment, and to become fulfilled persons in their particular time and place on Earth. The basis of Montessori practice in the classroom is respected individual choice of research and work, and uninterrupted concentration rather than group lessons led by an adult. Group lessons are seldom found in a Montessori classroom, but learning abounds. As you read through these pages you will discover the unique practices that make Montessori the fastest growing and most successful method of education today. "

1
0
Aunty-Sammy
Aunty-Sammy writes:
Depends on where you live, your needs, your preferences and your child's readiness for preschool. In the UK children can start nurseries/pre-schools as soon as they are 2 years old and many accept children still in nappies as well. Some children start aged 3 as some parents prefer to wait until the year before they start Primary school. I would advise you to look around find a nursery/pre-school you like, register your daughter and ask them about the admissions crieteria then start your daughter there as early as possible and find out there other policies such as being toilet trained and so on. The younger children begin there education the better! So if she can start at 2 great if it's 3 that's good should definetly start before she is 4 though.

1
0
TeacherandParent
TeacherandP... writes:
At what age do you think you want to enroll your daughter in preschool? Do you work outside the home? If not, I wouldn't think you'd have to be in a rush to look at preschools. Some children start preschool at 2 1/2, others at 3 or even 4. And in my area there are children who never attend preschool at all and go right into Kindergarten.

0
0