BigSis
BigSis asks:
Q:

At what age should a girl start attending dances?

My sister is in Middle School (6th Grade). She can now attend the Middle School dances and our city's Youth Dances. One of her friends even had a dance party. At 12 years old, is it okay for girls to slow dance with boys and possibly start "dating"? I'm interested in hearing your experiences and thoughts. Thanks!
In Topics: My child's growth and development

|

Most dances at school that age are well supervised--but check with the youth center before saying yes. How many adult chaperons to students. Dances, yes, dating, no.  Groups going to the movies or mall together with adults involved can be fun, but I would not encourage two kids alone on a date not followed by some adult available for consult if needed.  Good luck.

2
0

Hi BigSis,

I think a lot of this depends on the maturity of the child.  However, I feel that 12 is a suitable age to attend school dances and to slow dance, but I do not agree with dating this young.  You mentioned that it is middle school, so I suppose there is not anyone to date anyway, the oldest child in attendance is what(?) about 15.  I always get a little tickled when kids talk about dating at 12,13,14,15, etc. my personal views and experiences - if they can't drive, don't have a job or own a car "no dating".

This was a good question and I'm interested to see how others feel.

2
0