tinytoe
tinytoe asks:
Q:

What is the age requirement for children to enroll in kindergarten?

I have a three year old who is pretty much potty trained. I know that most parents say that their children are quite smart but as a matter a fact my son is quite smart. He is a fast learner and has ecelled quite well is his vocabulary and communication skills according to his ped.
Like all mothers who want their kids to succeed I have been teaching him letters, numbers, shapes and even tried a little German and Spanish.
He has never really been to a daycare before and I feel that he would be safer in school then a daycare. But I don't want to put to much pressure on my son or put him in a classroom that might be too much of a challenge for him. So my question is is well how do I find the resources that tells me if my soon four year old boy can start attending kindergarten and if he is not ready then what would be some good preschools that can help prepare him for school without robbing me out of house and home?
In Topics: Kindergarten readiness

|

Developmentalist

Most states require a child be five before entering Kindergarten, but you should check with your local school district.  If you have a gifted child, this is considered a special need in many states and an exception may be made.  Many experts have been pointing out that Kindergarten curriculum is much like 1st Grade curriculum 30 years ago and is often a stretch especially for young fives.  I would also do some research in your local area to find a Preschool, Pre-K School, or Young Five's Kindergarten. These types of schools are not considered to be day care.  And, many offer 2 or 3 mornings or afternoons which helps reduce the cost of tuition.  Good luck!

1
0