CleverDan520
CleverDan520 asks:
Q:

What is the right age to start dating, and to what extent?

What age should kids be allowed to date or have a girlfiend or boyfriend? And to what extent? Like hanging out at school and talking on the phone together or going to movie and different places like that.
In Topics: Teen sexuality and dating

|

There are a number of views on that "right" age for a teen to start dating. I personally believe that you should make the decision for your children based upon your own personal beliefs and an understanding of your teen's emotional and physical development.

You should know that there is research that demonstrates that children ages 10-12 who begin steady dating often do more poorly in school and have more behavior problems. Thus, there is some agreement as to what is too "young", but there is little understanding of a universal right age. Most experts believe that if teens under age 15 are allowed to date, they should engage in group dates exclusively and a responsible adult should be present.

For more on teen dating, take a look at the following article and section of this website:

http://www.education.com/reference/article/Ref_Teens_Dating_Tips/

http://www.education.com/reference/topic/TeenYears_TeenDatingAndSex/

Education.com Team

15
1

carlo vic
carlo vic writes:
i guess 18. coz in that stage, the mind of teens is going to b mature

7
4
jessicarogers
jessicarogers writes:
well 13 year olds want to date and things i think they should but not go to there houses i think they should just hang out at school and talk on the phone.
at 15 let them got to a movie and out to eat and stuff.
at 16 let them go to there house but keep an eye on them and make sure they dont do nothing.
at 17 do the same at 16 but give them more privicay just make sure they stay in the living room or outside.

4
5
Ankit verma
Ankit verma writes:
20 year.

3
6
Many parents experience anxiety when it comes to their teenager dating for the first time. The age at which a teen should be "allowed" to date depends on your child's maturity and a bit of your own gut instinct. Although there is no set age at which it is appropriate for a teen to being dating, often many parents start to allow their teen to go on group dates around 13 or 14. Once teens get into high school around 15 it's common for them to begin going on limited one-on-one dates.

As the parent, you know your child best, so if you feel that they are not emotionally mature enough to handle a relationship it's ok to wait a year before they are allowed to go on single dates. In the meantime they can talk on the phone and socialize at school. Don't let your teen or pre-teen make you feel guilty because "their friends are all dating." If you feel that they aren't ready............wait a while!

1-800-448-3000

7
0
omg123
omg123 writes:
16 is a good age to start dating, im still in my teen years and talking on the phone is fine at about 13-15 but 16 most kids are able to understand relationships and how to have them. and about sex they will know when they are ready and when there not.you just have to trust them but still keep a firm hand.

6
1
Tayamazer
Tayamazer writes:
i would say bout 17-20. thats when i think they are mature enough to handle a true relationship. 15-16 maybe....but usually there just lookin to mess around. and then past 20....they may decide that they dont want to date....and then they never get any where.

3
3
Vivian:)
Vivian:) , Student writes:
i think that the right age to start dating is when your in high school or your 14 or 15.because your mature enough i think that you should not wait until you 18 or older to be in a relation ship because the teen will think that ohh im 18 now i cold be in a relation ship and i can have sex.you should let them at least date at 15 so that they know how it is to date and they will know what to expect.

3
3
Britney5551
Britney5551 writes:
I am In high school...and when I was in middle school, I had a boyfriend in 2nd 3rd 6th 7th and 8th grade...but it was behind my parents back. I think that middle school students meaning about 4th or 5th grade and up should be aloud to have a boyfriend to a certain extent. When they are in 4th or 5th grade they don't think about sex or anything like that so I think that if you let them have a boyfriend, they should at least just be able to hang out in school and talk on the phone and hang out at like school dances and stuff. When they hit 6th grade, things start to get a little more intense and they start to think about more grown up things such as sex...if you let your child have a boyfriend in 6th grade, just make sure you know who he is and how his grades are and what type of person he is....be careful! In 6th grade I think that hanging out a lot in school and at school dances and stuff is good...and under adult supervision, maybe out to eat or a trip to the movies or something fun. When they hit 7th grade, boys get to a point where they talk about a lot of sex and stuff that they shouldn't. Make sure that if you let your Child have a boyfriend in 7th grade, that you don't get into to much personal buisness but just enough to know where your child is in his/her relationship. In 8th grade boys and girls like to think about having sex. Most teens are sexually active by 8th grade...so make sure you talk about sex with your child by This age. In 8th grade just make sure to give them there private space but not too much...you deffinantly want to know what is going on. I think that hanging out at eachothers houses is fine if you keep them in the living room...or you can let them go to the bedroom just as long as you check on them. And by 8th grade girls and boys are going to want to go to the movies or out to dinner with their boyfriend/girlfriend...I would let them, just as long as you are there...you don have to sit at the same table or sit next to them, but just be somewhere where you can see them...unless they are going with friends...if they are going with a group of friends, let them go by themselvs. Hope I helped!!!

3
5
robsters93
robsters93 writes:
14 is the perfect age to be married....

1
11
feliciaky
feliciaky writes:
i dont think there is a RIGHT AGE it just has to be when the parents think it is apporiate.

5
1
LARRY31
LARRY31 writes:
16 IS TRUEFULLY THE RIGHT AGE TO START DATING AND MAKE SURE  THE OTHER PERSON IS THE SAME AGE OR A YEAR OLDER

2
1
Marebear
Marebear , Student writes:
Honestly, I feel that at age 13 teens should be allowed to date, but only hang out at school, talk on the phone, facebook, ect. At 15 teens could hang out on group dates with friends. 16 is the time for real dating, like going to get pizza or go to the movies. It depends on how well you trust your teen and the person the want to date. then, its all up to you. be sure to tell your teen the consequenses if they get pregnate or get someone pregnate. they should know the consequences ahead of time.

6
0
meg007
meg007 writes:
i think that there is no age but u should watch them at about 16 because this is when they really start thinking about SEX so u should watxh them at about this age but still let them be let them have fun (SEX) at about 13 or 14 years old at least (because this is when I had "fun") and as a perent i dont really care if my child has fun at 13 years old and u should think that to

2
2
INTHEKNOW
INTHEKNOW writes:
I think that:
From age 13 and on let them hang out, let them go to someplace around the corner, but kinda watch them, don't let them see you. You might think that this is a little odd, but in this modern age that is around the time when kids start thinking about having sex, and might get carried away. I'm 14, and a lot of my friends started having "sex" (not really sex, but stripping each other sexually and touching each other) around that age. I was disgusted by it, as my girlfriend and I wouldn't even dare to do that. We have both had "the talk" and, while extremely embarrassed while having it, are now grateful to have had it. She has already gone through the girl part when her breasts were developing and she had her...you know. So...GIVE YOUR KIDS THE TALK WHEN THEY ARE 12, 13 OR 14. I'm not joking, it really is for there sexual safety. :-)

Oh, and after age 14 just let this go and go to my next post on more mature ages (if I make one) or go to another post.

6
0
jefskie
jefskie writes:
probably when you reach teenage and as soon as you are intellectually, morally, spiritually, and physically grown up.I think just a sporty date!

4
0
anuki10111
anuki10111 writes:
in my country perents don't allowd there children having girlfriend or boyfriend.  they allowd it only after age 23.and in my countrey people have sex onley after marrig.(sorry I don't know English well) for exsample: my uncle kill his only doughter becous she had sex with fiancé  A day before the wedding. I kow it's sad but...everyone knows that he was able to do this...becous we all are   Orthodox...

2
1
Glee
Glee writes:
Well in my opinion i think that dating is not right for me. If it's working out for yourself, then i think it's fine. But i think it's not right for myself, because i don't want to get hurt. And i think an appropriate age would be sixteen. And i think hanging out at school is fine. Talking on the phone is also fine. Going to the movie is fine. But try not to get yourself into a situation you know you or your parent or parents would not want you to be in. And if anyone is pressuring you into anything you don't want to do, you know you don't have to do it. i know i sound pretty stupid, but just my opinion.

1
1
swigmoa713
swigmoa713 writes:
I dont know 13 or 18

2
1
Kaitlynn:)
Kaitlynn:) writes:
Well, I Think it should be at leats 13 years old . But i'm in 5th grade and 11 and am dieing fir a boyfriend . I got asked ou about 15 times in 5th grade but i had to say ''No'' because im not allowed to date and im scared of what 2 do if i say ''Yes''.

3
0
Kaitlynn:)
Kaitlynn:) writes:
Well mabey u should wait to date after Puberty so ur more mature for things . But i say 13.

3
0