CleverDan520
CleverDan520 asks:
Q:

What is the right age to start dating, and to what extent?

What age should kids be allowed to date or have a girlfiend or boyfriend? And to what extent? Like hanging out at school and talking on the phone together or going to movie and different places like that.
In Topics: Teen sexuality and dating

|

There are a number of views on that "right" age for a teen to start dating. I personally believe that you should make the decision for your children based upon your own personal beliefs and an understanding of your teen's emotional and physical development.

You should know that there is research that demonstrates that children ages 10-12 who begin steady dating often do more poorly in school and have more behavior problems. Thus, there is some agreement as to what is too "young", but there is little understanding of a universal right age. Most experts believe that if teens under age 15 are allowed to date, they should engage in group dates exclusively and a responsible adult should be present.

For more on teen dating, take a look at the following article and section of this website:

http://www.education.com/reference/article/Ref_Teens_Dating_Tips/

http://www.education.com/reference/topic/TeenYears_TeenDatingAndSex/

Education.com Team

14
1

Kaitlynn:)
Kaitlynn:) writes:
At Least 13.

1
0
Spongey
Spongey writes:
Dating is illegal

0
0
littleredboat
littleredboat writes:
Children should respect themselves before any sort of dating happens. But 14 is a good age to start to date.Waiting any longer and most young girls do not know how to behave when they finally get some freedom from their parents.
1. under age drinking
2. unprotected sex

Between 14 -16 all dates should be supervised either by the boys parents are the girls. Group dating while it offers the parents peace of mind do not be naive to think that this can stop sex. Kids have sex these days 2 /3 couples in a room under a comforter/sheet on a floor.

So if you are going to let your child date have an open mind to the possiblity that they will have sex eventually.

The talk must be had with both kids, sex, drinking etc. Give advice on birth control(lets not live in a box and say oh my daughter or son is not having sex.)

At age 16 more freedom 1on 1 dates.   Sex does not only take place in the nighttime, sex can take place at anytime any where, kids are having sex at school now.

0
0
littleredboat
littleredboat writes:
1. under age drinking
2. unprotected sex

0
0
thulz
thulz writes:
i think teens can start dating when they become teens which is at thirteen

0
0
Mizfan12
Mizfan12 writes:
Alright,I had enough of you thinking that we cant go to dates, think about when you were a kid.You found The Girl/Boy of your dreams.I personally have a girlfriend myself! So stop being so mature and dramatic and be a kid(in love).

0
0
xXxBrokenxXx
xXxBrokenxXx writes:
My opinion is that you shouldn't let your child(s) date untill maybe 18. There more grown up and are more mature, I wouldn't let my kids date in elementary or middle school. That's just dumb for my opinion they have there whole life and there are millions of people out there. It's just the parents opinion, but if your children wanna a bf/gf I'd let them at 16 the earliest.
It's just my opinion :b

0
0
mrs.lautner
mrs.lautner writes:
i think an appropriate age to date would be around 13.

0
0
trishydoll
trishydoll writes:
When I have kids, I'll let them date at around 12, like going to see a movie or going over their boyfriend/girlfriend's house.

0
0
YourAdviceGuru
YourAdviceG... , Teacher, Parent writes:
I think the appropriate age to date depends on your individual teen and their maturity level and also the person that they are wanting to date. Children today have more access to one another through social media and cell phones. They are also overexposed to sexual content through social media, reality television, music, and music videos. And with the alarming teenage dating statistics, we have to be concerned about teenage dating abuse and teenage domestic violence. It is important for parents to help guide relationships with the opposite sex and allow healthy boundaries. I think that we as parents should also remember what this time in our lives was like. Being a teen and dealing with so many emotions can be confusing. We should not make our teens feel like aliens for wanting to date and develop these relationships.

-Tamara, Your Advice Guru

0
0
smart-shamim
smart-shamim , Student writes:
i think that talking on the phone would be ok after the age of 12 and having a girl friend or boyfriend  must be ok after the age of 16 but only going to movies and not the nightlife or things like that. you 'd better allow your cild to have a sexual realationsheep after the age of 20.

0
0
smart-shamim
smart-shamim , Student writes:
i think it must be ok to talk at school and on the phone after the age of 15 when they were 16 let them go to movies and other places but not nightlife. and about having sex it depends on your own idea in my idea child s should not be allow to have sex until they got married because if we let them taste it before marry the may never marry because they may also have baby without marrying!

0
0
Saburt1
Saburt1 writes:
16, but only group dating.

0
0
artemis.of.the.moon
artemis.of.... , Student writes:
Growing up in my house, there was a frequently spoken rule that we were not allowed to date until we were 16 years old. It's been almost three years since I turned 16, and I still haven't had a boyfriend. And as far as dates go, I've been on a total of two, just one-on-one. Movies and then home.

As soon as a child or teen has access to a phone, be it a land-line or a cell phone, you'd better believe there will be contact with others, males and females. Texting and calling, as well as social networks, such as Facebook. They're all ways that kids can get in touch with others, make plans, and communicate.

You can govern the extent by setting up boundaries, but don't be too overbearing because that will most likely cause them to rebel and potentially do something to really disappoint you. But when they hit a certain age, such as 18, which is the age of adulthood in many places... There's not much left that you can govern. Though if they still live with you, you can always set up that curfew. And if they whine, you're still the parent, so you can call the shots... You just can't exactly control everything they do.

0
0
CrystalSmith1996
CrystalSmit... writes:
Personally I'd say about 16/17 that's when most mature and learn the dangers of going out

0
0
Camii
Camii writes:
I think that no dating whatsoever before 13. At 13 you are a teenager. Dating is typical. At 13-14 you can hang out with friends together, talk on the phone,  and text. 15-16 you can go to movies and dates... and at 16 I would allow "come over for a little". 17-18 should basically do the typical dating but I would not allow sex. For any age under 18. Once they are 18 they can basically do whatever they please. They're mature now and know what's right for them. I would sit and talk with your 13 year old about dating and what is appropriate and what is not. Again, you have to experiment and play around before the real deal.

0
0
starstuc
starstuc writes:
i agree with everyone why has said 13 and up.if your child feels that they are ready to date  you should say instead of 16 & up, 13 & up. i believe it is the right thing to do.

0
0
Claire777
Claire777 writes:
Personally I think that 15-16 is an appropriate age to start dating. I am 15 and just started dating someone and he is my first boyfriend. We go to the movies, park, dinner, and have hung out at my grandmas once, supervised. I also just got my first kiss. So all of these things are first time things for me and I don't care! I know I'm way behind my friends on things but I'm glad. I think that dating under these ages can just lead to bad things. Also this year I made a promise and got a purity ring! I believe that 15-16 year olds and up are smart and mature even to make these kind of decisions. Also before I made the decision to start dating I talked to my mom, youth leaders, and close friends to get the input. Hope this helps! :)

0
0
Zaynmaliklover
Zaynmaliklo... writes:
The appropriate age to start dating is at 15

0
0
greciarosales2001
greciarosal... writes:
14 will be alright :) but 16 would be better:)

0
0