Show me another question in this topic
Q:

Any alternatives to bird seed that are cheaper, free or common to kitchen/household?

"I was wondering...what alternative food (instead of the bird seed) can one use?  I don't have the money to go out and buy bird food and maybe something I have in the house would work just as well.  Any suggestions would be great!  Thanks!"

Asked by Jessica in commenting on the activity, "Build a Pinecone Bird Feeder!": http://www.education.com/activity/article/pinec...
In Topics: Nature and outdoors, Green living

|
laurenf
laurenf writes:
The attached site lists some of the common ingredients used to make birdseed. This Cornell site lists sunflower seeds as one of the most popular among the birds featured. Dried corn is also a favorite.

The second site recommends peanuts, sunflower seeds and corn as well.

Even though you may have these products at home, I'm not sure how much cost-savings there are to be earned since nuts are a bit pricey.

1
0
Dr.Monika , Child Professional writes:
In cold months, birds need a lot of energy to stay warm and alive.  Seeds supply them with the necessary calories to maintain a healthy metabolism.  However, as an alternative, you could break up old bread into small pieces and soak them in the leftover grease you might have from frying or baking meat.  I am sure that your bird friends would appreciate that!

0
0
Show me another question in this topic