melanie32
melanie32 , Parent asks:
Q:

I have anxiety about my daughter entering kindergarten this fall, since she hasnt had enough social experiences ....

Do I have enough time to get her on track before school starts this fall?
In Topics: Kindergarten readiness

|
ilovechefwilliam
ilovechefwi... , Teacher, Caregiver writes:
The great thing about kindergarten is that it is all about social experiences!  Kinder teachers are known for their loving nature.  If you are anxious, I would talk to a kinder teacher.  Do you know who her teacher is going to be?  I think to make any education work parent/teaher communication is key.  Sometimes starting kinder is harder for the parent rather than the child :)  Good Luck!

0
0
socialworker
socialworker writes:
If your child has anxiety about kindergarten you might want to try reading "Harry the Happy Caterpillar Grows" with your child.The story centers on Harry,a caterpillar that has a fantastic life full of games, friends, school and leaf eating. He is stunned when, one day at caterpillar school, he learns that he is expected to  build a chrysalis and become a butterfly. Harry vows to remain a caterpillar forever, as his friends build their chrysalises and move on.  Eventually, Harry  learns to accept change as a necessary part of life, and  joins his friends as a butterfly. There are tips in the back of the book to help parents and educators use the story as a vehicle to help kids talk about their feelings about change, and teach them coping strategies to manage their anxiety.

If it just you that are anxious, remember that she is still very young, and will be learning social skills along with her peers. There is no reason to believe she will have problems at this point.

0
0