moosiejac asks:

Anxiety Disorder

My son was abused by a very evil teacher that damaged him emotionally and physically. He was diagnosed with anxiety disorder at age 10. I put him in many programs ie, Kumon, speed reading, creative writing, math classes and his favorite Music lessons. He managed to make it through high school without medication. He started College and was Rejected for marching band because his finger look weird on the sticks. Right after his rejection I should have removed him from the college but he wanted to stay. He suffered terribly to the point he had a sever case for Psoriasis and insomnia. I requested accommodations but was unable to get paperwork on file because his Doctor passed away. We found out that he could have put in for a medical withdrawal later in the school year and was rejected on every turn we made. Is there any help at all? I have been fighting with the General Counsel because I contacted the President of the University.
In Topics: Anxiety
> 60 days ago



Aug 20, 2010
Subscribe to Expert

What the Expert Says:

It sounds like your son has been through a great deal, and I imagine this has been very, very difficult for the whole family. You are clearly a strong advocate for your son and have been working very hard to help him get the appropriate supports.

Is your son currently under the care of a therapist or psychiatrist? If not, I recommend that he make an appointment at the student health center to meet with someone in order to get an evaluation and treatment. Therapists at the center should be able to provide specific advice as to how to work with the disability resources center to get accommodations for your son. Ideally, a psychiatrist/psychologist at the student health center can provide the paperwork necessary to file with the disability resources center. If they cannot, you should seek a referral for another psychiatrist/psychologist in the community who can evaluate him and provide the paperwork.

Of course, securing the appropriate paperwork is one thing, but he also needs therapeutic support and/or medication to better manage the stressors of college life. A therapist can help him learn strategies for better managing his anxiety. And, if his anxiety is so severe, he may need medication.

Good luck and keep fighting the good fight!

Warm regards,

Laura Kauffman, Ph.D.
Licensed Psychologist JustAsk Expert

Did you find this answer useful?
Answer this question


You are about to choose ${username}'s answer as the best answer.

Cancel | Continue

*You can change the best answer in the future if you think that you received a better answer

How likely are you to recommend to your friends and colleagues?

Not at all likely
Extremely likely