ScreamsCute asks:

How is Art connected to learning and what does it teach children?

In Topics: Preschool, Creative arts, Communicating with my child (The tough talks)

Hello and thank you for writing to JustAsk,

Art provides a wonderful and enriching educational experience on many levels.

First- motor planning and motor development both are stimulated with art.
Second- social - emotional development can be developed as a child is allowed to express feelings and talents through this outlet.
Third- History can be learned through art classes.  Who were the masters?  How were their artistic endeavors influenced by historical events?

I am sure that art therapists and art teachers have associations that also can provide you with a wealth of information regarding art education.

Thanks for writing!

Louise Sattler, NCSP
Owner of Signing Families™

Hi ScreamsCute,

I think art cultivates a different type of intelligence than traditional academic subjects. Not only does it nurture creativity and spark their imagination, but it also boosts problem solving skills. As kids are developing, art helps to strengthen their perception of space, colors, shapes, etc. - crucial early math concepts. Physically, art is beneficial for boosting fine motor skills (like the muscles that kids use to write).

All in all, I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to include art in kids' education! Hope this helps. I'm including a couple articles in the Resources section below that may also include some helpful information for you.

Thanks for asking!