captainkym
captainkym asks:
Q:

Aspergers diagnostic tests: can you give me some idea of the appropriate measures and number of them to use?

Hi
Im currently studying psychology at uni with the goal of becoming a child psychologist. I have a psych report to write on a case study of a 5 year old boy with aspergers. In order to diagnose him I have to evaluate him using a number of tests and measures. I am unsure which ones to use as there are so many out there. So far I have decided to use

WPPSI-III
Battelle Developmental Inventory
Vineland SEEC Scales
K-SEALS(Kaufman Survey of Early Academic and Language Skills)
I am also thinking of doing a specific memory and learning test and a specific visuo-motor test.

I dont want to over test the client but I also want to cover all the bases for a thorough evaluation. Has anyone had any experience with this that can give me some idea of the appropriate measures and number of them to use?
Thanks
In Topics: Cognitive development, Special needs, Autism & Aspergers Syndrome

|

Dear Captainkym,

I think that you have a great foundation for your testing battery in your assessment of this little guy. You have a number of assessments that will provide a good foundation for his cognitive functioning and general social adaptation. I know the WPPSI, Vineland, and the K-Seals well, but I am not familiar with the Batelle, so I can't comment on that measure.

I would consider adding the Bender Visual-Motor Gestalt Test for the visuo-motor piece (I would use the Rey-Osterreith Complex Figure Test if he was a year older - I love that test!) to assess his executive function abilities. I would also consider subtests from the Cognitive Assessment System (CAS), planning and attention dimensions to round out my understanding of his executive functioning. I would imagine that you are also trying to rule out ADHD and anxiety.

I would encourage you to leave time in your assessment (I typically shoot for two testing sessions of two hours each - some breaks for a little guy his age) for a short interview with him (maybe, a play assessment?). Interacting with him in an unstructured context should be very instructive. I would also send home Conners Rating Scales or the CBCL for his parents and teacher to complete.

Finally, I would consider a school observation (about an hour). Make arrangements with his parents to contact his teacher and visit the school before testing begins (your goal is to be unobtrusive - you don't want him to know that you are there to observe him!).

Good luck with your assessment. I'm sure it will go great!

Warm regards,

Child Psychologist

2
0
Anonymous