mandalieu
mandalieu asks:
Q:

Aspergers---getting a diagnosis

I have a 5 year old who I firmly believe has aspergers.  I have had that thought since he was 2.  I have tried getting him evaluated unsucessfully until last school year someone told me to go through the school district; which I did.  The examiners came out twice and observed him on two HIGHLY exceptional days during HIGHLY structured indoor work.  They ruled out any disabilities whatsoever; but did say that once he gets into public kinder I may have to revisit the topic.  He scored very high in the sensory integration disfunction area but not enough to qualify.

We moved during the summer and now he is in kinder in a different school district.  He has been to the principals office at least 10 times already.  I have requested another evaluation because every problem he seems to be having appears to me to be a sensory overload and reaction to a much less structured environment than he is accustomed to.  He is so overwhelmed everday when I pick him up that he cries uncontrollably.  The school has told me that they will do a meeting but he has already been evaluated ----basically I feel like they think I don't know what i'm talking about.  I have been told that ADHD medication would be a great way to help, but I don't want to medicate my son for the wrong diagnosis.   I'd love to know of any others who may have struggled with people frowning upon them and offering them parenting tips rather than data???  

Any suggestions on what do to so that I can      

I let the school know right away before he started about  
In Topics: Autism & Aspergers Syndrome

|

Try talking to you pediatrician about the behavior.  She/he may be able to recommend some assistance.  They may also be able to recommend an outside of school behavior therapist for an evaluation and ultimate diagnosis.

Also, look for programs from ARC and other resources such as  mental health programs.

Your doctor or school may be able to refer you to some one.

Wayne A. Yankus, MD, FAAP
expert panelist; pediatrics

0
0

Hermes
Hermes writes:
I just read your post and it is almost exactly to the "T" as my son is behaving in school right now. The principal keeps telling us that he is just immature and not ready for school. We put in a request for an evaluation and it was denied the same day! My son has been suspended from the school bus twice for 5 days and from school once for 5 days. We decided to go through our pediatrician and got a referral to see a psychologist. His preliminary findings are aspergers. Funny how the school observed him twice and can find nothing wrong with him. We too were told that we need to discipline him more(he actually told us to give him a good swat once in awhile). We have a staffing next Wednesday and I am bringing someone from the center where my son was observed so we won't get railroaded by the principal.

1
0
littlefaith44
littlefaith44 writes:
I also had the same problems with my son and the school.    Dont wait you need to do something now. We listen to the school and my son wasted years with a wrong diagnosis and we tried the ADHD meds they did help but they were not enough.My son was 11 before he got the right diagnosis he is finally starting to make some progress dont listen to the school get him to the doctors and have a full work up done.

1
0
lab1027
lab1027 writes:
I have a child who is ADHD, and is on medication. He has been on the medication for about 5 months, which helps him as far as being able to pay attention. However, I also believe my son has Asperger's and I was told by his psychologist that, if in fact he has Asperger's, the ADHD medicine will help, and that there is more help with Asperger's once he is truly diagnosed with that. You really may want to have your child evaluated by a Mental Health Counselor, who can then refer you on to a child psychologist or any other professional that may be able to help with your child. One thing I have learned, is to not simply "settle " for any type of diagnosis being placed on my child. I continue researching daily to ensure that my child will get the help that he needs.

1
0
shannonbrandi
shannonbrandi writes:
Sound exactly what we are going through with our six year old. Except we haven't gone throgh the school yet. I've just found out you could do that. I just let those ppl frown. As for the parenting tips I listen and If they work I'll use them, but still fight for that diagnossis. Keep your head up and trust that it will come. I've been working with my son at home as if we have a diagnossis and it seems to work. use what ever resources you can find. Good luck

0
0
jennytreysmom
jennytreysmom writes:
our family is going through the same issues we are almost a year into several evaluations 3 out of 4 feel that our 4 year old son is autisic but his school still refuses to do their own eval. i have tried since august to get an iep for my son he scored 18 months on expressive language and he doesnt deserve an iep? i dont think so what is wrong with our school systems they have failed my son and i am having to put up such a fight best of luck i think the teachers and staff need to be educated on autism and how to deal with children with these very special needs

0
0
Love4jalen
Love4jalen writes:
I first noticed that something was wrong when my son entered preschool.  Calls everyday that he wont take naps, or sit still or prone to outburst.  Yet he was great socially and academically, so his pediatrician refused to diagnose him with ADHD.  
Years passed, we tried the Feingold diet, sports and homeopathic medication.  We got some relief, but when we divorced, moved to a new place and had to switch him from a private school to a public school, my son lost it.  3rd was horrible, that poor teacher.  4th grade brought more kids bullying and teasing him, classrooms were chaotic and his grades began to suffer.  
I wrote the school district to request mental health services and contacted Kaiser Behavioral Health for a diagnosis.  I am grateful to both of those institutions for their concern, expertise, support and belief in my sons abilities.  Initially he was diagnosed with ADHD and prescribed Adderral XR.  The impulsive, hyper, highly distractive behavior decreased, but he still had major meltdown in sports, in class and in the after school programs.  
Finally the psychiatrist stated that she believes he actually has Aspergers.  He is 10 years old now, we are awaiting an assessment, but he meets all of the characteristics of this disorder.  Its like putting the pieces together, God knows its been a long journey!

0
0