JenayaConesBibeau
JenayaCones... asks:
Q:

How does an Aspergers Mom home-school an Aspergers son when he gives up so easily?

I have Aspergers, and high IQ and OCD. My husband was actually considered slow throughout his school years, though does not show it much until something more technical comes up (specific writing, math, etc.). We chose to pull our two older children from public school due to bullying and lack of discipline (son discovered he was in charge at school!), and because of the school's failure to move our daughter ahead as needed. Neither of them have any issues. Our third child (no issues) and her younger brother have never went to public school although all of them attend the enrichment classes through the home-school programme. Our youngest, 5 year old son, has Aspergers so I thought it'd be very easy since I have the same thing. Like me, he gets frustrated very easily but UNLIKE me, he gives up and refuses to try again. I have a card with the words "Learn, Practice, Review" on it which helps at times when it comes to writing and phonics but not always. While I'm usually very creative, my mind seems to have stalled repeatedly on ways to give him the encouragement needed to continue the lesson. Do I move on to something else, or back to something he CAN do or what, because he can shut down anywhere from a couple of minutes to the rest of the day as far as schooling. Anyone have ideas?
In Topics: Homeschooling, Special needs, Autism & Aspergers Syndrome

|

There are many resources for typical and special needs children who are home educated.  This is one of my favorites: http://www.specialneedshomeschool.com/

Consider learning that is more interactive and engaging. You can combine physical activity with learning activity. Such as jumping jacks when you are doing addition problems.

Also, there are numerous websites and games that can be adapted.  Consider playing with games that have many concepts integrated. Here are just a few:

SCRABBLE JR. for spelling (Many locations to purchase)

BOGGLE for spelling and visual skills  (Many locations)

FLIP2BFIT  and BAKARI for fitness, nutrition , memory and reading  http://www.Flip2bfit.com

MEMORY (for visual memory) You can make this game or purchase at local stores

Louise Sattler, Psychologist

0
0
Anonymous