chell3
chell3 asks:
Q:

Does Asperger's syndrome cause sleeping disorders and problems with school attendance?

Is it common for someone with asperger to have a sleeping problem?
I am taking my daughter to the LA regional Center to be tested for Asperger. What information should I have for them. Is there anyone out there that has had a problem with school attends, do to Asperger?

Thank you in advance for your response.....
In Topics: Special needs, Autism & Aspergers Syndrome

|

Hi Rachelle,

I agree with Sarah. It is wonderful that your daughter is being evaluated by the LA regional center. Whether your daughter receives a diagnosis or not, the evaluation will provide very useful information about your daughter's strengths and areas of improvement. And, if she should receive a diagnosis, the Regional Center will provide some excellent early intervention.

Now, on to your question. Studies have shown that children with Autism and Asperger's Syndrome ARE more likely to have difficulties with sleep that so-called "typical" children. It is still unclear why this might be, but some experts have suggested that children with Asperger's generally struggle with anxiety and, therefore, may have more trouble settling in at night. Of course, whether your daughter receives a diagnosis or not, she will need some help getting a good night of rest. Help your daughter develop some good sleep habits. The article below has some good suggestions. You might also help her relax more before going to bed. I have worked with numerous parents who found books for children with guided visualization and relaxation techniques to be handy. You might try, "Starbright--Meditations for Children."

http://www.education.com/reference/article/Ref_Sleep_Tips_Children/

Let us know how the evaluation goes. Good luck!

2
1

SarahRubar
SarahRubar writes:
I've never heard of a connection, but then again I don't know everything about it. Good for you taking your daughter for testing, though. I wish I could help. Let us know what you find out, though, ok?

Sarah

1
0
chell3
chell3 writes:
Thank you all for such quick responses. I started my daughter on Melitonin, is anyone familar with this sleep aid?
Yes, I spoke with the LA Regional Center today and I can't beleive that I have to wait 4-6 weeks for an appt. does anyone know of another route to take? My daughters Doctor says to call the insurance company and they would direct me to MENTAL HEALTH, but the last time I had her evaluated though Mental Heath the Psy said she had ADHD and prescribed medication that made her crazy..(SHE DOES NOT HAVE ADHD) then the psychiatrist precribed another pill that made her crazier. It seems that these "Doctors" want to put a label on a child without a full evaluation.
Thank you all for listening its nice to know that your being heard....

2
1
paints25
paints25 , Parent writes:
Hello Chell3, My 12 yr.old son was diagnosed at the age of 5 with Aspergers. My son has problems with sleep and the first medication we used was Melatonin. It's a natural substance that your brain produces.  When the brain doesn't produce enough you have a hard time distinguishing its night time and time for sleep. It's all natural and very inexpensive. I'm not an expert by any means I did the research on it along time ago so if my info isn't exactly correct I apologize.
  As for school, We have had  attendance problems at the beginning of the school year. It is all about routine when u have a child with Asperger's syndrome. Everyday is the same routine. Exactly the same!
If I were to change something oh lord there would be a melt down!
Well if you ever need to chat I am always available. Paints25@yahoo.com.

1
0
scoutlake3
scoutlake3 writes:
From our experiences, our son has night terrors frequently.  In the mornings, he is very hard to wake up and get ready for school which has caused him to be tardy many times.  "Too many times" where the school staff is concerned.  We haven't been able to improve on his nights, but we have simplified his tasks in the morning to get to school on time.

1
0