Q:

Need assessment tools for special needs children ages 3-11.

"I am looking for some assessment tools to assess special needs children ages 3-11 that live in Jamaica. I am a qualified special needs teacher with my Masters in Education with a focus on reading. I have spent the last 15 years teaching at the university level, but now I want to go back to assessing children as that is my passion. If you could lead me in the right direction I would be grateful. Thank you in advance."

Asked by Audrey via email.
In Topics: Special education, Special needs

|

Hello Audrey,

There are many tests available for testing reading levels.  However, I need to caution you that many were developed for children in the United States (and in some cases Canada).  Therefore, using them in Jamaica will most likely not give you completely accurate information.  However, some of these formal tests might be useful if used only to see how a child approaches reading or their individual reading style (are they more visual or auditory with learning).

There are several companies that have formalized reading tests.   Here is the website for a company that offers a wide range of products. Some of them are more qualitative than quantitative.

http://search.hmco.com/riverside/query.html?col=rpc&qc=rpc&qt=reading+tests

Keep in mind, that sometimes the best way to evaluate reading is to sit with a child and see how she/he decode words.  Do they recognize the words without hesitation? Do they break down the printed word by letter or sounds? Do they stutter while reading or re-read the same word or sentence over and over. Also, is a child only reading single words when their peers are reading paragraphs?  This type of information and other observations can help you to provide information to a teacher regarding a child's progress with reading.

Owner of SIGNING FAMILIES
http://www.SigningFamilies.com

1
0