dianelane
dianelane asks:
Q:

I would like to attend seminars geared toward obtaining counselor certification in children/adolescents with Asberger's and other forms of autism.

I have a BA in English and a Masters in Public Administration, and have worked with autistic children in Fairfax County Public Schools in Special education, off and on, for 38 years.

My son's counselor at Project Safe in Alexandria, Va recommended that I attend professional seminars offered by Pesci Institute in the Washington, DC area to obtain the necessary credits to counsel children, individually. I would like to do so this summer, while I am not substitute teaching. Can you help?

Essentially, I have enough hands-on experience in the field and have studied materials on my own to counsel individually without getting a degree, according to my son's counselor. He believes I just need professional certification.
In Topics: School and Academics, Autism & Aspergers Syndrome

|

Becoming a professional level counselor requires a masters' degree in counseling (or a related field) and a license. Check with the Virginia Board of Counseling about the state requirements for counseling. You may be violating the law if you practice counseling without the proper credentials. Another excellent source of material on counseling is the American Counseling Association (ACA) at www.counseling.org

The information you were given is incorrect.
0
0