ALLI1
ALLI1 asks:
Q:

What natural medication can I give my son for Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder?

I HAVE A 11YEAR OLD SON WHO HAS BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH ADHD. WHAT NATURAL MEDICATION CAN I GIVE HIM INSTEAD OF PRESCRIPTION DRUGS. HE IS IN A REMEDIAL CLASS BUT IS STILL STRUGGLING.

THANKS
In Topics: Physical Health, ADHD & attention issues

|

to the best of our knowledge, there are no "natural" medications that have been shown to have the desired effect of increasing concentration.  However, what you can offer your son is tyrosine (milk products)or melatonin to sleep, green tea or camomille for digestion, and lots of exercise.  check with the web site below under "alternative therapies" to see what comes up.

1
0

MrsKren
MrsKren writes:
Try Breathing techniques to relax and slow down.  Breathe in to the count of 3, hold for 1 count and slowly breath out 6 counts.  It takes some practice to get used to, but it helps.  I have ADD and it helps me to slow down and focus.  I also teach this strategy to my students.

0
0
jacks5548
jacks5548 writes:
Hi Alli1,

I also recommend reading the following article: "Tips for Parents: A Ten Point Naturopathic Medicine Plan for ADHD". It was written by two naturopathic physicians and offers a variety of natural, non-drug treatments for ADHA.

0
0
TPWServices
TPWServices , Child Professional, Teacher writes:
A child with ADHD needs to utilize his or her energy in something exciting to them outside of school. I work with several students who are ADHD and 90% of my students are very talented in art,music, writing, or etc. When my students have a good balance of school and extra curriculum activities they perform more successful because they have something to look forward to that gives them more motivation to do better in school. They need a day to day structured environment. I embrace my ADHD students by giving them choices in the classroom. I embrace their needs in my classroom by allowing all my students to sit on the floor or sit in the desk. My students can go to the board and answer a question if they are having problems  or come to my desk and ask me for help. A child with ADHD needs a very healthy diet with limited sugar intake. Although, I don't have a medical remedy I can say that people with ADHD are some of the most gifted people in the world.

1
0
Hi, There's a new article on Education.com that offers some additional insights you may find valuable....

Tips for Parents: A Ten Point Naturopathic Medicine Plan for ADHD
http://www.education.com/reference/article/tips-parents-ten-point-naturopathic/

I'm including a link below to a few other relevant informational resources. Please also consult with your son's doctor.

0
0
Dr.Monika , Child Professional writes:
Studies show that some children with ADHD might benefit from a diet free of dyes.  Not every child's behavior will benefit from such diet, however, it might be worth trying.  It will never hurt to improve one's diet! In fact, the Food for the Brain Foundation in England carried out a survey on over 10,000 British school-aged children, ages 6 through 16, in an attempt to compare aspects of their behavior with academic performance, score tests, and health.  The researchers found that there is a strong association between nutrition and behavior.  You can read about the study and its results at: http://www.pluggedinparents.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=426&Itemid=0.
Your child's health care provider should be your best guide in helping you decide on the best treatment for your child.

0
0
This may sound crazy, but ask your doctor about nicotine patches. He will know more.

1
0