ShaRun
ShaRun asks:
Q:

Is autism hereditary?

My first born son  and only son is autistic. He is now 34 years old. My youngest daughter's son is first born and he is 6 years old and is autistic. I don't  have much knowledge about autisim because when my son was born and growing up he was labled retarded @ unteachable. I taught him and he reads and rights and you wouldn't know there was anything wrong unless you knew how hold he is. He looks 15 years old. He out grew a lot of behavior problems with my help. I had no one to turn to.
Now my grandson was kicked out of school and my daughter is home schooling him. Can it be hereditary? SDWF
In Topics: Autism & Aspergers Syndrome

|

Hi ShaRun,

Current research suggests that genes DO play a significant role in the cause of Autism, but the story is very complicated. There is no one single gene believed to be responsible for Autism. Rather, researchers are looking at 12 different genes that mutate or malfunction during development as possible collaborators in the development of Autism. The other piece is the environment. Researchers believe that there are a number of environmental factors (e.g., viruses) that may trigger previous genetic predispositions. As you can imagine, our understanding of the development of Autism is incomplete, but we do know that it is a complex tale.

The National Institute of Child Health and Human Development has a great publication on this topic.

0
0

aracelysc85
aracelysc85 writes:
This is some info I found on the site provided below you can read more about it there. My son is Autistic, it is very mild but I caught it pretty late around 3yrs old and he just started treatment in a school at 4yrs old. Your grandson doesn't need to be home schooled there are many schools that deal with children and these disorders. I didn't even know what my son had anything when he did little gestures that weren't normal I thought it was cute and ignored it. However check out this site and see if in your area there are schools that help children with PDD (Pervasive Development Disorder) Autism is one of the disorders that fall under that diagnosis. He might need to be evaluated by the Department of education and they can give you a accurate diagnosis. Hope this info can help. :)

"Autism is a spectrum disorder, and although it is defined by a certain set of behaviors, children and adults with autism can exhibit any combination of these behaviors in any degree of severity. Two children, both with the same diagnosis, can act completely different from one another and have varying capabilities.

You may hear different terms used to describe children within this spectrum, such as autistic-like, autistic tendencies, autism spectrum, high-functioning or low-functioning autism, more-abled or less-abled, but more important than the term used to describe autism is understanding that whatever the diagnosis, children with autism can learn and function normally and show improvement with appropriate treatment and education."

0
0