apaz
apaz asks:
Q:

Autistic boy wants to be an aviation pilot

Hi, I have a high level autistic 14 years old son 8th grade IEP. he wants to career related to aviation, he is good at math and science. Any public high school he can attend? Is there any financial aid for him in case a private school?
In Topics: Choosing a school, Autism & Aspergers Syndrome

|

Hello and thank you for writing to JustAsk,

I am sorry that we do not have information that is as specific as you request.  However, I did a little research and found out that there are some people who are knowledgeable about students with high functioning autism showing an interest with aviation.  They recommended contacting school counselors to see what criteria needs to be met for pilot school, any scholarships that are available and exams necessary.

People with autism or any other exceptionality are held up to the same standards to become a pilot as anyone else.

Thank you for writing such an interesting question-

Louise Sattler
Owner of Signing Familes™
http://www.SigningFamilies.com

0
0

jj.whipple
jj.whipple writes:
Thank you for your question. I'm certain that if you contact your (most local) independent living center (sometimes abbreviated ILC or CIL) or even a local Autism services organization (not Autism Speaks however) that they would be able to provide you with further information. He can attend any public school without fear of discrimination etc.. As far as a private school I would think that scholarship and or financial assistance criteria would be the same weather an AS diagnosis existed or not. you may find an ILC (or a center by any other name) in the link below. The search link will be the second link I'll include.

- J.J. Whipple
Dir. of Systems & Community Advocacy
Niagara Frontier Ctr for Independent Living

0
0