gmacc
gmacc asks:
Q:

What is the average age a child can say the abc's and can count to 10?

In Topics: Cognitive development, Learning issues and special needs

|

The "rule of thumb" is that a child can say the abc's and count to ten without any issues by kindergarten (Depending on the age of the child it may be the beginning or the end of the school year).  Some children attain this skill earlier, while others may need a bit of extra help.

Please feel free to peruse our site for more developmental milestones information.

1
0

1
0

JamielaIsmail
JamielaIsmail , Teacher writes:
The more you stimulate your child the more he/she will learn and this can be as early as 4 years.  Logo reading happens first, and then his name.  The more you expose your child to reading activities the faster he/she will learn them.  And yes, then you have those children who need more time to grasp concepts.

1
0
lilgirly9090
lilgirly9090 writes:
Well, I learned my abc's and how to count to ten when I was in preschool; so the age should be around four or five.

0
0
hagekana
hagekana writes:
A child can probably say abc's and can count to 10 when they are 3 to 5.

1
0
Aday201
Aday201 writes:
My child is 2.5years old he knows his full alphabet and can count to 20. He can point to the letters when called out (when he is interested in doing so). I believe the child can do anything the child is taught at a young age routinely. I do believe no child is the same but every child has the ability.

0
0
keyetwife
keyetwife writes:
Idk what the average is. My lo turned 2 in january he can count to ten and say his abcs; however he skips 7 sometimes and every once in a while he misses a few lletters...progress not perfection

0
0
bethdedios
bethdedios writes:
My little girl can sing ABC's and can identify letter at the age of 1.8mos and around 1.9mos can count 1-10.

0
0
Dada101
Dada101 writes:
All these answers are great! Average age for being able to point to a letter of the Alphabet and the child being able to correctly answer is 3 years in Canada. Average age for knowing the song is unknown.

One of the best tools I have found for learning was simple fridge magnetics. Avoide placing them all on the fridge at once as this will be overstimulating and your child will become frustrated quickly. At your child's learning pace add more and more letters. Order is irrelevant. Fun is key.

0
0
Cocoxbooboo
Cocoxbooboo writes:
Well I gave birth a month ago and mind is saying his ABC and counting to a million and he also sings the hills have eyes by the weeknd... I just can't keep up with this genius child of mine!

1
0
AnaGrace26
AnaGrace26 writes:
My daughter learned to count to 10 when she was 2.5. And up to 15 at age 3 in Spanish and English. She also learn most of her abc by 2.5. She would skip around 5 letters but she knew most of it in the right order. By age 3 she kind of forgot her abc. But that was my fault.  I thought there was no need to keep practicing since she already knew it. So its up to the parent to teach the child at home.

0
0
nncarter1
nncarter1 writes:
I taught my daughter her Abc's at 12 months. She is now 19 months and can recite her abc', identify them, and count to 20.  I learned to present information to her in chunks that she could retain and grow from there.

0
0
Christyb718
Christyb718 writes:
My daughter around 2 and my son

0
0
Christyb718
Christyb718 writes:
My daughter around 2 and my son around 20 months they both at those ages could discern the letters and numbers.

0
0