Q:

What are you doing to avoid summer slide during school break?

As President Barack Obama points out in his proclamation for National Summer Learning Day (July 9, 2009), "a child who takes long breaks from learning can face academic setbacks. This problem is especially prominent during the summer, when students may lose more than two months of progress." http://www.summerlearning.org/media/events/summ...

This phenomenon is often referred to as "summer slide," and here's more about it in an article by Education.com partner, Reading is Fundamental: http://www.education.com/reference/article/Ref_...

Info about summer slide can also be found here: http://www.education.com/topic/learning-during-...

The good news: Taking a break from school doesn’t have to mean taking a break from learning. While you likely don’t want to torture your child with spelling tests and math drills this summer, it is a good idea to keep his/her brain (and body) active during the school break!

So what is your family currently doing or planning to do this summer to keep the learning ongoing? How are you incorporating learning into your everyday routine? We'd love to hear from you!
In Topics: School and Academics, Camp and summer enrichment, Family fun / holiday celebrations

|
Our family is participating in the Education.com 2009 Summer Activities Challenge. http://bit.ly/18xMq5
Because I'm an Education.com employee, we're not eligible to win the Dell laptop or LEGOs, but we're having a blast doing the learning activities. In fact, my daughter is enjoying the challenge so much that when I get home from work, one of the first things she asks me is which new activity I have brought home for us to do together!

During the day she goes to summer camp and participates in learning enrichment activities there too. Inspired by a family math games night at her school (toward the end of the school year), as well as by some new games she's picked up from friends at summer camp, she's also now practicing her math skills daily with various card games.

This summer (after a recent move), we also set up a mini children's library in a section of our living room, and it's so wonderful to see her sitting there with her friends reading book after book, ignoring the TV and video games, and keeping their reading skills sharp instead.

She's also taking violin lessons this summer, and finding time to explore outdoors, whether in our backyard garden or at campgrounds and parks we visit on family outings.

These are some of the ways we are doing our best to avoid summer slide for our soon-to-be second grader.

3
0
That is according to the Obama Administration and of course the NCLB mentality. The truth is that most children gain an edge from the break. I know now that we are not schooling, she has had more time to explore what she really wants. I do agree that some kids may need a tutor, but more than likely they need one year round. I love summer breaks and I feel like it actually helps children not set them back. Just monitor the TV watching and expose your kids to educational experiences. :)

3
2
Louiseasl , Child Professional writes:
Visiting museums and the lively arts is an excellent way to keep educational learning on the upswing during the summer months.  Sometimes a museum, such as the wonderful ones we have available throughout the Mid-Atlantic region (including Philadelphia , Baltimore and Washington D.C.) can teach a child more in one afternoon than an in -class experience.  

Recently, we attended the museum of Crime and Punishment in Washington D.C.   Not recommended for young children, however, this place fascinated our 17 year old son for hours and he was able to apply his knowledge of statistics, geometry, chemistry, biology and history in three short hours.  The CSI lab was engrossing and used the science and math tools he has learned and was able to explain back to us!  The chronology of crime in America helped to highlight history and it was fun just to spend time together in such an interactive milieu.

Also, the Newseum is another one suggested for fifth grade (or so) and up.  Again, a great way to see history in a hand-on manner. Both museums are easy access in Washington D.C.  (Also, the Smithsonian Institute and countless historical places along the Mid-Atlantic are fun for keeping learning alive and well during the summer).

Lastly, going to free concerts and appreciating the lively arts is another way to keep learning fresh and develop an appreciation for subjects that may not spark an interest during school hours.

Have fun!

Owner of Signing Families
http://www.SigningFamilies.com

3
0
tsnuggles
tsnuggles writes:
I am using the summer challenge activities, in addition to one on one reading time with each child everyday with skill building in math, social studies, and language arts. I also use alot of the community resources that are free and less costly such as the library and school base programs that offer learning  and school taecher who are off for the summer will charge a lower rate for tutoring in the summer. My children also helped to set a summer budget then help to plan our activities this summer.

1
0
LittleScholars
LittleSchol... writes:
I actually wrote a blog for my company, Little Scholars, on this very topic a few months ago.  Although it is short, it outlines the research that show how significant summer learning loss can be and ways to conquer it this summer. Enjoy!

http://littlescholarsllc.wordpress.com/2010/05/10/summer-slide/

0
0
Momto2
Momto2 writes:
My 3 and a half year old will be starting preschool in the fall. So we haven't had a full year of school and then a summer break to go through. But I wanted to find activity's for us to do over the summer. I feel so blessed to of found education.com. They should send every parent home from the hospital with this website information!! I have found it so so helpful!

We are so excited to be doing the Activity Challenge! We just started last week but I think we will make it!! My younger son broke his leg a week ago so we have alot of time to be inside doing fun, educational activity's. I also believe that some kids benefit from the break, some people may not realize it but our kids are exploring and learning everyday!!

0
0
Anonymous