rezafo
rezafo , Parent asks:
Q:

How seriously is bad to let my 7-month-old kid watch TV for two hours daily?

Hi, I've read a lot about the negative impact on kids' behavior when they are allowed to watch TV for more than one hour a day.

My question is that when I let my kid watch only Educational cartons (Magic English) and Baby Einstein series which they are tailored for very young kids, is this stuff the same as ordinary TV programs which they are said is bad for watching? I mean, when they say do not let your kids watch more than one or two hours, maybe they are referring to all sorts of TV programs and not the ones I mentioned. So how's that, isn't there any difference?

And, how worrying is really to let a baby / kid watch TV for more than one hour?  Two hours is too much? what's the limit?

Thank you.
Reza

|
PositivelyMe
PositivelyMe , Teacher, Parent writes:
Is this two hours in one "sitting"? How many things does a 7-month old do for two hours in one day? What is the rest of your child's schedule? Personally I don't think your child should watch TV at all at 7 months old. Your child should be on a consistent schedule (yes, your child should be on a consistent eating schedule by that age. Don't let the child tell the parent what to do, and don't teach a baby that food is a reward for crying - you will raise an emotional eater). Example: up at 7am, change diaper, eat, bathe, 15 minutes classical music on cd, 15 minutes one-on-one time with mommy or daddy, lay down for mid-morning nap. Continue similar routine throughout the day with consistent bedtime. The infant can learn in ten-minute time spans to have 'quiet time' laying on his back, a moving mobile or object near him. Increase this 'quiet time' until a child at age 5 can look at books for an hour by himself after lunch time every day, because he has been taught to not be entertained every waking hour of his day by outside media or people. Also, ask your eye doctor what they think of a young child focusing on a TV screen, and what effect it has on their vision development.

0
0
MariaEanes
MariaEanes writes:
It is my opinion that if you plop a child in front of an artificial babysitter for that long, then you've run out of ideas. Instead, how about reading or drawing with the child. Let the child doodle. In doing so you are boosting the child's self-esteem, self-confidence and opening channels of creativity and problem-solving. Don't get me wrong. I do think that television can enhance a child's education, but please; all benefits from moderation. Too much of a good thing doesn't mean good or bad....just plain too much. Create scavenger hunts, go for walks, study the sky/clouds, etc. None of the positive time together needs to cost you any money. The sky's the limit:)

0
0
littleredboat
littleredboat writes:
Sorry but TV of any sort at that age is bad for your child.  At 7 months all that TV is just too much for young eyes.
 My son had an activity table by Fisher price, along with tons of their toys that he use to play on all the time at 7 months.  His all time favorite was the Fisher Price puppy, he sings the ABC, says things like tummy, ear, foot.  Get these things for your child please along some sturdy board books.  Your child should be crawling, playing, learning how to be active at a young age not glued to TV.

0
0