Karenmom asks:
Q:

Baseball...What is the difference between playing for a League or playing for a school team?

My son is in Kindergarten and has played two seasons of Tee Ball with the YMCA.  His school is currently having sign ups for
Tee Ball/Baseball but he can also play on a league team (not associated with the YMCA) a member of www.littleleague , which also wants his application now.  I am having a difficult time deciding on which would be the better experience for him.  I've been told that the coaches for the league teams are better and would give him better training, but feel as though he would benefit by playing with his school mates and learn school spirit considering that he is only in Kindergarten.  

Any suggestions from those of you who have "sport" experience would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you in advance!
In Topics: Sports and athletics

|
reddickjc
reddickjc writes:
Karen,

I would dearly love it if my daughter's elementary school offered organized team sports for her!  My answer concentrates more toward the socialization of your child, and not the importance in athletic performance and improvement.  For K-2, I think the interaction children have with their fellow students, especially outside the classroom, outweighs the benefits they would receive from going to a league team.  Two caveats: the school team has some semblence of coaching skill and organization; and your son is not a "natural" in baseball.  I have a 7 year-old grandson who has played select-league baseball in Texas for two years now, and it would be a disservice to his abilities and his hard work to bring him back down to a league that is clearly below his skill level.

Bottom line: which one would be more fun and beneficial to his growth?

Larry

1
0
Carolynn16
Carolynn16 writes:
I would say the little league team. Probably more competition, which will help him improve.

1
0