D'Anna
D'Anna asks:
Q:

What can I do to improve bath time for my 2.5 year old?

She scream and cries the hole time i give her a bath. even when i say its bath time she say no and that she wants to lay down even when she just woke up. I not sure why it suddenly changed she use to not minding taking a bath. I'm not sure if she is scared or if she just doesn't want to take a bath. What can i do to improve bath time for her?
In Topics: My child's growth and development, Physical Health, Parenting / Our Family

|

If bath time is such a stressful experience for your child, try switching her to showers.  Taking showers is healthier for girls anyways.  Taking baths, especially bubble baths increases the risk for bladder infections.

0
2

Hi, Adding to the previous answer you received...

Here are some more Expert resources that you may find helpful:

Early Years (includes developmental milestones)
http://www.education.com/age/early-years/

Preschool Readiness (includes info and tips for managing behavior)
http://www.education.com/topic/preschool-readiness/

When our daughter was little, one thing we tried to get her excited about bath time was getting her some new bath toys, including bath paints that she really enjoyed. We also bought her a new towel, one of those character towels that has a hood (she chose one that looked like a duck), as well as some scented and colorful body wash that she loved. We didn't spend much in buying this stuff (less than $25), and we didn't say, "If you take a bath, we'll give you this new stuff." Instead, we emphasized that she was no longer a baby, and it was time for some new 'big girl' bath stuff. The experience of helping to pick the new bath items was fun for her, and did get her excited about taking a bath.

In addition to the items she picked out, we also picked up a few other items too, including an animal cover you put on the bath spout to protect the child from hitting their head on it, some bright non-slip removable bath appliques (for the bottom of the tub), and some nets with suction cups to hold her toys to the side of the bath wall (which made it easy for her to help with clean up too).

I hope this helps. Thanks for asking!

1
0
Daniel_Guillot
Daniel_Guil... , Parent writes:
Taking showers is a great idea.  It will add variety and a new experience.  Children at that age are very curious and looking for new things.
Another idea is to make the bath or shower time more about her.  Turn this problem into an opportunity.  Teach her how to bath herself.  Show her how to put the soap on the cloth and clean herself.  Talk to her about the dirt and grease that she is removing.  Children are less afraid when they have control.  At this age, she will not do a very good job of getting clean, so you will have to finish what she missed, but the goal is to make the experience more pleasurable for her and tolerable for you.

0
1
TheGoToMom
TheGoToMom , Parent writes:
I have the same problem with my 3 year old. He'd rather play or do anything other than take a bath. After children turn two, they begin to see the world in a whole new light. They begin to see everyday activities as chores; cleaning up, taking baths, getting dressed & brushing teeth. Try to prepare her in advance of her bath. Let her know the day before or several hours before that she will be taking a bath. Empathize with her first. Say, "I know the bath may not be as fun as playing or sleeping, but we will need to eventually get clean." Offer her a choice. "Would you like your bath after dinner or before dinner?"  Children will be less resistant if you make them feel powerful - or let have some control in their lives. KEY things to remember:

1. Empathsize with her
2. Set the expectation in advance
3. Offer choices

Kimberley Clayton Blaine, MA, MFT
Founder, www.TheGoToMom.TV

2
0
JamielaIsmail
JamielaIsmail , Teacher writes:
Oh dear, there is the consolation that it is a passing phase.  You can allow her to play with fun toys in the bath.  One way I got over the shouting was having bath beans when placed into water, they change into objects.  Or the toys when placed in water they grow bigger.  I also had them scribble themselves with bath crayons which was fun - they washed off in the water.  
Good luck and I hope you find the information helpful.

0
0
Anonymous