karenwalterson
karenwalter... asks:
Q:

What are the benefits and problems associated with moving 5th grade classes into middle school?

Our Elementary School is running low on space, and the solution put forward by our School Board is to move the 5th Grade Classes (08/09 year) to the Middle School and continue with 5th, 6th, 7th & 8th as middle school years.  

I am extremely concerned with aging our 5th graders too quickly, their loosing out on being the leaders of their elementary school and associating daily with the older children/experiences.  The only online-materials I could find were positive for combining 5th into the Middle School--so I am seeking input.  Anyone with similar experience postiive or negative appreciated.  Any resources we can share with our School Board as they finalize their decision.
In Topics: Worldwide education issues

|

Houli
Houli writes:
As a former school superintendent and a middle school administrator, I would like to share a reply regarding your question.  It is not unusual to find middle grades schools covering a wide range of grade spans- 4-8, 5-8, 6-9, 5-9, etc.  That is why the term "middle grades" is often used now instead of middle school.  If I had a child in a middle grades school, the #1 issue is the competence of the teachers my child will have.  The grade structure is totally secondary to the quality of the teachers.  Give me good teachers every time and all the rest of it is secondary.

That said, another major issue as a parent is that of safety.  Once again, I don't think you'll find any one grade configuration that guarantees safety, but if your concerned I would sit down with the principal and ask him/her to outline in specific detail the safety measures for those 5th graders.

Hope this helps!!

0
0