Dadof2
Dadof2 asks:
Q:

What's the best bike for 9-11yr old learning to ride first shift bicycle?

I have a large 9yr old ( about the size of your average 11 yr old) who has outgrown his single speed 20" wheel coaster brake bike. Its time for a multi-gear bicycle but I'm not sure what to get. I want him to learn shifting and handbrake use. Hopefully this bike will take him all the way to basic trail mountain biking. Everything that looks to be good quality seems very expensive. I don't want to get a heavy poor quality bike that will be no fun. No fancy suspensions needed here but basic front shocks wouldn't be objectionable.

Basic Questions:
Can you suggest a few good brands or specific models from experience?
24" wheels?
Twist shift or click shift?
Get a full 21 speeds or something less?

Thanks!
In Topics: Exercise and fitness

|

lkauffman writes:
Great question!

I had to lean upon a bicycle-obessessed friend for this one. Here is what he recommended:

Go to a regular bike shop, not a warehouse retailer or toy shop. The bike shop will get you a proper fit and the assembly will be certified by a trained bike mechanic, which will address safety concerns. Get a helmet. Unless you live in a hilly area, more gears don't always equal more fun. Also, it's OK to get something that your son will grow into, but your don't want to get something that is so big, he will be turned off to cycling.

For more information, take a look at the following article:

http://www.bikemaine.org/parentsguide.htm

Child Psychologist

3
0