scottsgirl42
scottsgirl42 asks:
Q:

Birth control for 10 year old

My Daughter is 12 now but her dad gave her birth control when she was 10 and she started her period when she was 9. He said it was to deal with her hormone levels but she was doing fine with her periods at that time. Would she have any problems now from taking the pill for 2 years. I was against it from the start and hope nothing will happen to her.
In Topics: My child's growth and development, Physical Health

|

For the first 2 years since the onset of menstruation, girls may have irregular periods.  That is normal and there is no need for pharmacological treatment. After about 2 years, periods should become regular.  If not, it is the time to talk with a gynecologist.

I am not sure what was the reason for putting a 10-year-old child on birth control, but that should have been a decision made by both parents and a medical professional.  If you were not involved in the decision making and you feel uncomfortable for the reasons your daughter takes birth control, you should explore it further for the best interest of you child.

2
0

jmamable
jmamable , Caregiver writes:
Hi scottsgirl,
First, I want to say kudos to you for being so concerned about your daughter! Don't hesitate to look into this matter, you are right, it is alarming to hear of a ten-year-old taking the pill, so you shouldn't hesitate to find answers to your questions about it. But I agree with the expert above -- as far as I understand, it should be OK for a 10-year-old to take birth control as long as it's prescribed by a doctor (but I'm no expert!). The only reason I can think of is that, aside from preventing pregnancy, birth control can be an effective way to deal with abnormal or excessive side effects from menstruation. Many women I know made the decision to take the pill to help control intense cramping, excessive bleeding, etc. If your daughter was having to deal with some of these symptoms, especially at a young age, birth control might have actually helped her a lot. However, I can't stress the importance of making sure a doctor helped her and her father make this decision and is overseeing her usage, just like any other medication.

0
0
Almack
Almack writes:
Hello Scottsgirl,
My Daughters Paediatritian wants to put our 10 year old daughter on the pill Loette to regulate her periods because she is getting her periods every 2-3 weeks.
We were wondering if your Daughter still grew while on the pill? We were told by many people that you stop growing taller when you take the pill. Is this true?

0
0
artemis.of.the.moon
artemis.of.... , Student writes:
I couldn't imagine starting my period that young... I was twelve, I do believe. And thankfully it was summer time.

Unfortunately, I have the most irregular, frequent, and heavy-flow periods ever. It was agonizing... And I didn't get birth control until my 9th grade year, when I was fourteen. Two years of that torture. It was horrible.

I was on the Depo shot, which caused me to have horrible headaches, and it messes with your bone growth as well, especially when you take it for more than two years.... Which I unfortunately did. But you've stated that your daughter is on the pill, so if she isn't showing signs of distress and she is fine with it, then it shouldn't be a problem.

I'm on the pill now because /I/ wanted to be. Because /I/ hate bleeding heavily every two weeks. Maybe she confronted her father about her periods, instead of you, for whatever reason. It's more her decision, I think, because it's her body.

But that's just my view.

0
0