Q:

Why Black History Month...why not just history month of all races?

"If we are to be color blind..why not stop emphasizing color?"

Asked by Frances after reviewing the activity, "Bead Rasta Inspired Jewelry":
http://www.education.com/activity/article/bead-...
In Topics: Helping my child with social studies / history

|
ronald
ronald writes:
Frances, this is a good question and one that is often asked. My views are as follows:

1) Our society is not color blind yet, although much progress has been made.  I do not think pointing out the positive contributions of African Americans and other minorities during certain times of the year contribute to "color consciousness".

2) Children need more examples of important contributions to our society by African Americans given the overwhelming negative images conveyed in some music lyrics and videos.

3) Although I am increasingly optimistic that racial and gender discrimination will decline, we are not there yet.

Ron

1
1
Hi, I'm really glad you asked this question. I know there are others who wonder the same, and it's valuable to know the history of traditions.  

In my opinion: Black History Month provides focused learning and reflection on the ways in which African Americans have positively contributed to society and humanity. It doesn't mean that other cultures or races are less important and to be ignored, or that by observing this month, one is contributing to racial injustice and intolerance. Instead, I see it as exploring and embracing diversity through the study and celebration of a particular group of people and their cultural experiences.

Also, according to this article, "How to Talk with Your Child About Black History Month" (http://www.education.com/reference/article/talk-your-child-about-black-history-month/ ), this cultural observance/holiday came about because many Americans did not know enough about the role African Americans played in building this country, and because Dr. Carter G. Woodson, a Harvard University trained historian, realized that African Americans were being written out of the country’s history books.

I'm thrilled with the progress our nation has made and is making, and I hope that even in a "color-blind" society, we will still celebrate individual cultures and experiences with dedicated observances or events like Black History Month.

0
0
Hi, There are some additional perspectives on this topic from Education.com visitors in the comments section of this article:

Learn About Black History: Seven Lesser-Known Figures
http://www.education.com/magazine/article/learn-black-history-lesser-figures/

0
0
jgreen
jgreen writes:
African American History Month began as Nergo History Week and was devleloped into Black History Month by Carter G.Woodson. During this time all races are invited to learn about african american culture. No one of any race is to be excluded. After years of hardships, african americans deserve a time to be celebrated.

0
0
Fritz1
Fritz1 writes:
All answers here aren't great every single race has done the same thing I'm not racist but there shouldn't be a black history month and if so we need a Native American history settlers in general almost wiped them out a white history a Spanish history an English history a Russian history a German history a  Ukrainian history an Asian history month
There should be a months for ever single race or no race  at all it may no be meant to show one race is better however that's the vibe that is given off to many people. This is the world we love in now I give it to the african Americans they did a lot but so did so many other races and to not have a month honoring them isn't fair to that race  now seeing as how there are more than 12 races we should got with weeks each race gets a week and to the people who think that the african American should get this because of slavery I do want you to know at some point in history every race has indeed been enslaved but they don't teach this in schools the only way you to find this out is to do research and you will find it to be true even the roman enslaved their own the school system needs to show te whole truth not just part of it it's a sad thing

I'm a history buff and I'm 19 I recently graduated high school I do know what is being taught in the school system

0
0
TeacherandParent
TeacherandP... writes:
It's a good question. I think the point of black history month is to show how not color blind the U.S. was in the past in an effort to have us see that it's better to be color blind.

0
1