msqueen
msqueen asks:
Q:

can you boil water in a plastic bottle, over fire?

In Topics: Science fair, Helping my child with science, Toy safety

|
fritzr
fritzr writes:
This can be very dangerous as the plastic will likely melt and release noxious fumes.

0
1
laurenf
laurenf writes:
Assuming you are referring to a disposable water bottle or soda bottle, the melting point for this Polyethylene terephthalate bottle is approximately 250 degrees Celsius. The boiling point of water is 100 degrees Celsius. The temperature of the fire is the real variable here. According to "A Book of Steam for Engineers", The Stirling Company, 1905, barely visible fire is approximately 525 degrees Celsius. The more common Red-Orange color range from 800 to 1200 degrees Celsius. You would definitely melt the plastic bottle before you were able to boil the water within.

1
1
Patrick08
Patrick08 writes:
If you're asking whether it's possible, than yes it is, however don't drink the water since toxins from the plastics will seep into the water and can be very harmful.  The trick is to keep the bottle from touching the flames of the fire directly.

2
0
mikiewashere
mikiewashere writes:
the plastic will NOT melt until all the water has evaporated ... I have done this many times in a bonfire at my house ...

I have placed a plastic water bottle on a roaring bonfire (had to sit it "just so" so it would not tip and pour out all the water) and the plastic on the top was immediately melted as there was no water touching it ... however the plastic underneath still holding the water didn't melt and the water started boiling ...

as the water evaporated, the plastic would burn off around the edges ...

this was a very hot fire as we were also melting glass bottles just below where we placed the water bottle ...

attached is the link to my facebook page with a bad pic of the water in a plastic bottle on the fire ...

:)

0
0
Bobyhall
Bobyhall writes:
Yes you can I have done it

0
0
Bobyhall
Bobyhall writes:
It is not dangerous if you do it like me

0
0
Bobyhall
Bobyhall writes:
You can't drink the water because you can die from the melted plastic

0
0
jinjohn218
jinjohn218 writes:
Water purification is the first step in outdoor survival. For water to be safe, it must be purified of all bacteria, microorganisms and dirt. When using water to cook foods such as broccoli, potatoes and pasta, you'll need a few basic tools, all of which are easy to find and cost very little money. Once the water is purified through the boiling process, you can use it for cooking and drinking.

http://nobrokendrips.com/

0
0
Anonymous