MissyLee
MissyLee asks:
Q:

What books or home testing is available for children with ADD or kinesthetic learning?

My 9 year old son just finished 3rd grade.  He scored well, but it took a LOT of work on his teacher's and our part.  His grades were all over the chart (spelling and math and handwriting the worst - social studies and science the best).  The information is going in, but depending on how you test him, you can't get it back out again.  He went out the door equally prepared for two tests last week, prepositions and conjunctions, and labelling a blank map of the entire U.S. with states AND capitals.  He failed the grammar test, and made 105 (w/ bonus) on the states and capitals!!!  He has some ADD (not diagnosed, but obvious) but it goes beyond that.  He is scheduled for testing in the fall (that's as soon as we could get in) but everything I'm researching is pointing to kinesthetic learning.  Can anyone recommend some good books that I can read while we're waiting for testing?  Is there some at home testing I can do while I wait?  Thanks.
In Topics: ADHD & attention issues

|

KidAngel
KidAngel writes:
Hi MissyLee,
Wow, your 9 year old is all over the board. Did you know that if you have medical insurance that your pediatrician can either perform some of the testing for LD's or give you a referral to a specialist that does? School Districts in theory say 3 to 4 months and it usually is 6/8 months before the actual testing process begins. You will get a much quicker diagnosis by using your pediatrician. As far as recommending some good books, I believe that if you put in some key words in the "google" search engine you will find ones that catch your attention. By your post there would be several different ways to look at your sons issues. I feel it best if Mom does the search having much more information on your son then I could grasp from the post.
Do consider the quicker and more efficient method of getting him tested.
I would be very interested to hear how his diagnosis reads. Thank you Mom for being so invested in figuring your sons LD's out. There is a light at the end of the tunnel, keep shoveling!

Barbara Antinoro
Educational Counselor
Kid Angel Foundation
Education.com Team

0
0