aakritig
aakritig asks:
Q:

Why a boy child acts like a girl?

My son is 4yrs old. For the last two years I have seen that he is more interested in girly things such as nail polish, lipstick etc. Now he wants to wear a sari, he wants to wear ladies undergarments as well. He keeps on saying that I am a girl and not a boy. I am very tensed. Whom should I consult? He is my son. I love him but the society we are in they don't accept these type of people. I am really worried. I stay in Kolkata India. Please do tell me what should I do? How should I tackle this? Should I consult a doctor? PLEASE HELP
In Topics: Outside the classroom, My child's growth and development, Self esteem and identity

|

Dear aakritig:

Talk with your son's doctor first.  Developmentally, boys and girls at this age are curious about the opposite sexes "things" such as clothes, make up, perfumes, etc...For girls it is often the same--why don't I shave like daddy etc...His behavior now is not an indication of a transgender state merely at 4 years old an interest in things not usually available to him.

Start with some "neutral" toys that are neither boy's or girl's. Teach him some games he can share with either sex playmate.  Have him spend time with the men in the family so he can model behavior. That is key.

Best,

0
0
Anonymous