dorieberry
dorieberry asks:
Q:

What is a Brayer, print roller or child's rolling pin or dowel?

In Topics: Science fair

|

bob , Parent writes:
Oddly, I have a brayer right in front of me on my office.  It is a rubber roller about 4 inches wide and an inch in diameter and has a red handle.  I got it to press sticky paper onto a surface to roll out the air bubbles.  They are used in printmaking, for rolling ink onto a woodcut block or linoleum cut block.  This one is made by Speedball in Statesville, N.C.  I found a photo online, see the link below.  I bought it at a local art supply store.

A child's rolling pin is probably like like a cooking rolling pin but smaller.  We have one at home that came with a "Play Dough" set.

A dowel is just a generic term for a rounded stick of wood, like the bar you put hangers onto in your closet.  These come in diameters from about 3/16 inch to 1.5 inches and most hardware stores and hobby stores sell them.  A cut-off piece of a wooden broom handle would probably suffice for many uses.

1
0