claudy22g
claudy22g asks:
Q:

What should I do if my little brother was almost hurt by his teacher?

My little brother, who is in kinder and five years old, was tied down to a chair with the teacher's scarf. She did it in front of all the students. The only way we found out was that one of the students, who is also my little cousin, saw him tied up and informed his mom. She, then, told us. We talked to the principal who said she was going to investigate by asking the students; however, she said she was surprised cause the teacher works early and leaves late, showing bias already. We are going to report her to the district, but I am unsure if we should file a police report. She not only hurt my brother, possibly psychologically by embarrassing him, but she put his life in danger in cause there was a fire or anything else, violating safety procedures. So do I file a police report? Do I report her to the school board? What can I do? It was wrong for her to do that. The first thing I learned in my student teaching was never, ever, touch a student even if it is during a fight. Justice needs to be done.
In Topics: Self esteem and identity, State education standards, School safety (not bullying)

|

Houli

If your little brother was 'almost' hurt by his teacher, it is important for your parents to talk with the teacher and get a clear understanding of what happened.  I do not know your age or whether or not you have custoday of your brother, but the bottom line is only an adult can be involved with the school regarding these types of issues.

Idenitfying a teacher as having inapporpirate behavior is a serious allegation so whomever is involved in this issue needs to be very clear and have documented evidence of the allegations.

0
0

hertl
hertl writes:
The Child Welfare Information Gateway has a user manual for educators who suspect abusive behavior by parents; it is the same reporting procedure in reverse in your case. See the first link below for the full text of the procedures.

This is Serious, Act Immediately.

Report the incident to your local Child Protective Services (CPS) - the designated social services agency (in most States) to receive reports, investigate, and provide intervention and treatment services to children and families in which child maltreatment has occurred. Frequently, this agency is located within larger public social service agencies, such as Departments of Social Services.

The second link below will give you specific resources for your state.

1
0
Rachel McMillian
It is important to act right away! I would also put your concerns in writing and keep a copy for yourself. When you do this make sure address the problem. Most important, insist that the child is moved into another class. Behavior like this will not stop. Now the teacher may just be more discreet with their actions. One of the parents should try to volunteer in the classroom.

1
0
Anonymous