emmy101
emmy101 asks:
Q:

What to do about bullies at school who make me cry?

At school i get bullied to the point i start to cry and i dont know what to do. Can you help?
In Topics: Back to school, Teen issues, Bullying and teasing

|

CollinsAM

Emmy101,

I am sorry that you are having to deal with bullies at school. School is often hard enough without having to worry about being bullied as well. Please know that you are not alone in being bullied. Every day, thousands of students are bullied at school but that doesn't mean that it is normal or okay.

The first thing you should do is let an adult know that you are being bullied. It would be best to tell your parents and your teachers.

If you are being bullied, it is not tattle-telling to let an adult know because being bullied can really hurt people.

There are probably rules against bullying in your school and if adults know about what is happening, they can help protect you. Also, try to keep your friends near you and ask them to help stand up against the bully with you. This does NOT mean being mean to the bully. Having friends around you who are on your side can sometimes make it harder for a bully to try to bother you.

The best thing to do, though, is to first tell an adult.

Adam Collins, M.A.
School Psychology Doctoral Student
University of Nebraska-Lincoln
Bully Research Network: http://brnet.unl.edu
Target Bullying Research Lab: www.targetbully.com

4
0

Hello Emmy101,

I'm very saddened to hear about your experience. It's really important that you talk to a trusted adult (such as your parents, teacher and/or doctor) immediately. It's great that you are looking for help, and I urge you to talk to an adult in person, so that you can get help for this issue at school as soon as possible. Thank you for asking, and please do follow up with an adult in person.

4
0
amvparent
amvparent writes:
You shouldnt cry because you are showing them fear they like seeing you cry it makes them powerful then they are going to keep on bothering you.You should make a police report.

0
0
conniemath
conniemath writes:
if u work on being tough or work on maybe getting stronger physically youll find that youll be getting stronger emotionally by knowing that if they did anything to you you can do the same and theyll know it too...or you can tell someone that might help you .yeah go for the second answer its less time consuming and im sure someone will be able to help u.....

0
1
Zora
Zora writes:
Everyone has something they don't like about themselves. Even someone who in our eyes look "perfect". I think they pick on you so that no one notices their faults. For example There was a guy who made fun of my horse's teeth, while he was short and had a bald spot! So pick out some imperfection on the next bully and laugh out loud or if you can't fine an imperfection right away, laugh out loud anyway and they'll go look to see what you were laughing at. If you keep doing this they will start to leave you alone, because they don't want to bring attention to themselves if something is not perfect on them, believe me I know!

1
0
LouiseSattler , Child Professional writes:
Thank you for being brave and writing for help here at JustAsk!

I am so sorry that you are having a very bad experience at school with people who are being disrespectful and cruel.  PLEASE tell an adult about your being bullied.  Tell a parent, guidance counselor, teacher, school administrator,  a trusted adult friend or maybe even someone at your church/ synagogue, etc. Ask them to get you help to stop the bullied behavior and to put you in a situation that is safe. What is important is that you do not go through this ordeal alone, but with adults in your corner to help you and that you are safe.

If you feel that your life is being threatened then get immediate help.  If you feel that you are very sad and depressed about this situation and cannot tolerate anymore- get immediate help. Emergency responders can help you if your life is in immediate danger.  

Annie Fox, the well-known middle school author has started an excellent campaign to help stop bullying in schools and neighborhoods.  Her group is Cruel is not Cool.  You can learn more about it as something to help you in addition to getting adult assistance at http://www.AnnieFox.com

Also, I would suggest that for now you keep off social media if you can.  Do not become entangled with a war of words on places like Facebook.  These sites are often where people can show their worst behavior, so do yourself a favor and ignore social media for now.

We wish you the best and know that you are a valued person and nobody deserves to be disrespected by anyone, including you!  

1
0
kerniaP
kerniaP writes:
just smile and say God Bless You , trust mee (: believe in the father :D he will help uu, God bless uu :)

0
1
asapp
asapp writes:
Hey emmy101,
       I just want to say that you have to learn to ignore those kinds of people. I can remember when I was in 5th grade and one of my best friends just started hating me. We were the best of friends and then summer came and we went back to school and he hated me. I had and still have NO idea what I did to make him hate me. I haven't spoken to him sense. I can also remember in 6th grade when another boy kept making fun of my legs (because Im chunky for my age) and he kept saying how fat my legs were and I started crying and had to leave the room. It was just terrible. I wish that I could erase those few years from my life. When I got into 8th grade, I can remember thinking to myself that it wasn't worth it.. I couldn't be afraid and worried to go to school, something that I HAD to do each day, so I finally learned to just ignore people like that. People to this day still call me fat, gay, fag, and all of that kind of hurtful stuff, but now I just ignore it. It doesn't bother me.. When you finally realize that it doesn't matter what people think of you, you just have to accept you for who you are and thats just all that matters.. What YOU think of YOURSELF.. Nothing Else! Hope this helped!

1
0
Anonymous