AmyMarcantel asks:

Bulling at school when there is no help from school officials

officials at the school have not acted on a problem with a student at the school that is being bullied to the point of them vandalizing her vehicle, would like to know what to do next as the school official is related to the bullies
In Topics: Public School, Bullying and teasing
> 60 days ago



Jan 14, 2012
Subscribe to Expert

What the Expert Says:

I'm sorry to hear that this girl is being bullied.  There are some steps you can take to get the attention of the school.

1.  Put a timeline together of the bullying events.  Include the exact dates and time if possible.  Record the facts of what happened.  Try to keep emotions out of it, which is hard.

2.  Make an appointment to meet with school administrators and staff.  Ask that the principal or AP, guidance counselor, and resource officer (if the school has one) to be present.

3.  During the meeting ask specific questions like:
What is the school's anti-bullying policy?
What happens when the school see or is presented with evidence of bullying?
How does the school keep students safe?

Have your questions prepared before going in the meeting.

Also during this meeting, present the timeline and any other evidence you might have such as photos of the car damage, threatening text messages or emails, etc.
Try to stay calm and present the facts - once again this is hard.  Tell the school you want to work with them to come up with a plan to make sure the bullying stops.

If the school says they will look into the matter, ask them for a date of when they will be in touch with you to give you an update on the situation.  If you leave with a plan, make sure you call the school to follow up on what's happen and if adjustments need to be made.

3.  If after all of this you are not getting any cooperation, you can always file a police report especially if there is vandalism.  Tell the victim to take pictures of any damage as soon as it is noticed.  And continue to keep up with the timeline of events.

4.  As a last resort, you can always contact a lawyer and press charges.  However, I'm hoping it won't have to get that far.

Once again, I'm sorry to hear about this.  Hope I've given you a few things to think about.

Barb K

Did you find this answer useful?

Additional Answers (1)

Sarahmcathy writes:
The school seems bad its self.
If i was in your shoes i would go to the princibles office and speak with him.
If the princible does not support or doesnt care then go to the education department.
They WILL do something.
Dont allow your child to go through this these stuff can lead to suicidal thoughts.
How i know?
I'm a student my self who was bullied
> 60 days ago

Did you find this answer useful?
Answer this question


You are about to choose ${username}'s answer as the best answer.

Cancel | Continue

*You can change the best answer in the future if you think that you received a better answer

How likely are you to recommend to your friends and colleagues?

Not at all likely
Extremely likely