pameladennis
pameladennis asks:
Q:

My son is being bullied and threatened.

I want the school to talk to the kids about bulling my son is being bullied and the school will not do anything about it so what do i do about this ?my son come home mad and sad everyday and tell me that the kids are picking on him in class what can i do?and the school don't talk to the kids right saying bad words and some of the kids are to this is not what i want for my kids and my kid don't need to be mad everyday when the come home from school.the kids are kicking him and hitting him calling him names threatened need to be Sade to any kids at all.

|

We are very sorry to hear that your son is being treated this way at school. We suggest you take a very direct approach with the school and set up a meeting with the principal and school social worker or school counselor. If your school does nothing to help stop the bullying, then go to a higher level such as the superintendent of the school district. Verbal abuse should not be condoned even though it can be difficult to prove. And physical violence should never be tolerated on school grounds.

It is also important to teach your son how to stand up for himself so he does not continue to see himself as a victim. You can help him role play situations which could happen at school. He can learn to tell them to leave him alone, stay in control and learn to walk away without showing them emotions. Also make sure your son is doing things which make give him as sense of purpose in life such as sports, music or church activities. He may be able to make friends at school with whom he has things in common with, by joining before or after school activites.

If you continue to get no results or closure with your school with regards to the teasing and bullying, you may want to consider changing schools. You don't mention your son's age or grade, but if you are going to make a change, it is best to do it before he is in high school if possible.

We hope that you do get support from your school and they do take control of the situation, and that your son will be able to feel safe at school. If you would like to speak with one of our counselors about this or any other parenting issue, please call or e-mail us. We also have an excellent website for teens which you can give to your son: www.yourlifeyourvoice.org
We are here 24/7 to help parents and kids of all ages. Take care and best to you and your son!

Cynthia, Counselor
1-800-448-3000
hotline@boystown.org

2
0

EdieRaether
EdieRaether , Teacher writes:
Again, this is NOT acceptable!!   The school is responsible  for creating a safe place and you need to insist that it is happening.  
Words are not forgotten and can affect his self-esteem that determines his perceptions forever after. Protection is prevention.  I have several free reports on my website that may help you as well.
Take good care,
Edie

0
0