Anonymous
Q:

Bullying lead to Assault - what can we do?

For 2 years my granddaugher age 12 has been bullied by a girl on her bus.  All the incidents have been reported to the school, nothing of any consequences have been done about the situation.  Yesterday my granddaughter was assaulted by this girl on the bus. She was beaten, scratched, hair pulled out and food smeared on her head while the other kids laughed and the bus driver did nothing.  The police were called, but refered it back to the school.  My granddaugher is an honor student, school ambassador and a very kind person.  Now she is affraid to go back to school. The girls parents are as aggressive as she is and tried to attack my son when he accompanied the police to their house.  Does my granddaughter have to be killed before the school doe anything.  Her parents cannot afford an attorney, what can we do?

|

Schools across the country are implementing anti-bullying policies. School and District Administration add the policy to the schools' rulebooks. Students and parents are informed of the policy, accept its terms, and know of the consequences if students and parents choose to physically, verbally, and/or emotionally assault any students that are enrolled at the school.

Find out if your granddaughter's school has implemented an anti-bullying policy. Find out where it is stated. Find out how students become aware of it. Indicate that you wish the school personnel to enact the consequences towards the other girl, as the policy states, as a result of the assault on your granddaughter. If your granddaughter's school does not implement an anti-bullying policy, contact the principal and district personnel to encourage them to adapt one.

Attend the next school board meeting and ask to speak on behalf of your granddaughter. If you can, provide the board members with pictures and other documentation as evidence of the latest attack. If the school board is not interested in investigating the incidents, then contact your State Department of Education and provide the same documentation and concerns to that agency. Specific names and numbers of contact can be provided by the Office of your State Governor.

If you need additional help with this, or any other parenting issue, feel free to contact the Boys Town National Hotline, at: 1-800-448-3000. Take care of yourself!

2
0

I'm so sorry you and your family are going through such a terrible experience. I'd encourage you to read some of the articles in the Education.com special edition on bullying (link below) to help learn about why bullying happens and what you, your son, and your grand daughter can do to help stop it.

But I think the most important thing is that you not give up.  Work with your family to carefully document everything that has happened between these two girls (including any areas in which your daughter may need to take responsibility). Take this information to the teacher.  If she can't or won't do anything, go to the principal. If you're still not getting an appropriate response go to the district level (school board members). Your daughter deserves to feel safe and happy in school. If you've done absolutely everything you can to help her achieve this at her current school, you may have to think about giving her a fresh start at another school.

I wish you all the best.

1
0
Mrs.N
Mrs.N writes:
You are a good grandma. My son started being bullied recently and school was informed. I still have to see how they handled it. Like your granddaughter's bully, my son's also has a pair of aggressive parents, from what I heard from the people whom went to same elementray school 30 years ago, the father was a big bully himself. I don't know what the outcome of our case, but I would definately consider changing school if the problem is not resolved. Your granddaught is a kind person, she can make friends in a safe enviroment. No kids can learn when they are afraid.
Good luck.

1
0
What can you do? Withdraw her from that school immediately! NO child should treated this way. The education is simply not worth it. You can homeschool and give a much better curriculum than she is being provided with right now and being masked as "honor". I'm a former teacher now homeschooling mom. You would not believe what the schools consider "honors" and "advanced". A program called Abeka is an advanced curriculum. I would advise this program for the advanced student along with outside activites ;) Trust me, it is so crucial to decide now while this does not take a toll on her self-esteem. It may very well already have, but you can mend it through time. You will find that most kids in a homeschooling environment are outgoing and friendly (certainly not bullies) in a community. Good luck :)

2
0
Also, I would take this to the local newspaper. Freedom of speech is a great gift. Get on greatschool.net and report how this school handles problems.

1
0
imakecakes
imakecakes writes:
First of all she needs to stop taking the bus. Here are some things that will help.
1. Buy her an electric scooter there is one at amazon.com it comes in purple, white,and blue. i have a scooter and its awesome i can ride it any where. Its only 200$ free shipping!!!
2. You can drive her school.
3. Buy her a bike.
But whatever you do keep her off the bus!!!!! dun dun dun .

1
0
sloane39
sloane39 writes:
go up the chain of commands, and if no one is going to do anything, then press charges.  Sue the family.

Thats the only thing I can think of.  

Can she get a cell phone so she has some protection?  she can call 911 and then you guys.

this girl sounds like she needs to be suspended, or expelled.    we are also dealing with bullying too over here.

0
0