djydolls
djydolls asks:
Q:

What about a bus driver shouting at children aggressiveness telling children to sit down and shut up?

My Grandchild came in one afternoon and the Child said that the bus driver talked to this child hateful.What can you do with this and also being bullied at school. THe teacher either replies with shrugging her shoulders or shaking her head or tells the child not to be telling.OUR Grand Children already get treated like prisoners at school.If they are sick you are still suppose to take them to school for nurse to excuse them for the day.Now tell me where do you think all the Flu germs come from.This is ridiculous if this Child is burning up with fever.What do you do?
In Topics: School and Academics, Parenting / Our Family, Discipline and behavior challenges

|

It sounds like you have several different frustrations with your grandchild's school.  So let me take them one at a time.  Since I don't know how old your grandchild is, my response is a bit general.

The bus driver - What a job they have getting children to and from school each day safely in all types of weather conditions.  I remember taking the bus in middle and high school.  My peers at the middle school level were less than obedient or even respectful of each other.  It was always loud.  Once I reached high school, things settled down quite a bit.  As a teacher, there were times on field trips where traveling with certain classes was unruly until I stepped in.  I set high expectations for my students.  They knew that when we came to a railroad track crossing, they were silent.  I explained why and they followed my lead.  However, that was when an adult was present.  As for your grandchild's bus, maybe you could contact the school to see what their policy is.  Maybe you can even offer to sit in on the route once in awhile if the school will let you.  This may give you a new prospective on what happens on the bus and understand why the bus driver gets frustrated and then yells.  I'm not make excuses for the bus driver, but it is important to understand what kids are like when there is no adult to supervise - and the bus driver can't do that if he is driving.

If your grandchild is being bullied, you must bring it to the attention of the school.  If the classroom teacher is not listening, then go to the administrator.  For more ideas about what you can do to protect your grandchild go to www.education.com/topic/school-bullying-teasing/.  This page is filled with fantastic information.

As for not being able to call in sick, that sounds like a school or district policy.  Contact your grandchild's school or district office to find out the reason behind it.  I agree that send a sick child to school only to be turned around and sent home is not efficient or healthy. If you disagree with the policy, then bring your complaint to the school board.  I'm sure you are not the only grandparent or parent that feels that way.

So my suggestion to you is to find out the school's side of what is going on. Once you know both sides of the story, you will be better armed to fight these battles.

Good luck.

1
0
Anonymous