Q:

In a business context, is it ever okay to lie?

Please give me some examples.

Asked by Ralch in commenting on the article, Lying: http://www.education.com/magazine/column/entry/...
In Topics: Helping my child with school work and home work

|

This is a tricky question to answer because there are degrees of lying from a small white lie to one that is deceitful and hurts others.  For example, one might lie to the boss by saying she looks nice in that outfit before asking for time off.  It might not be the boss's best look, but you give her a compliment in order to get what you want.  At the other extreme, you might lie saying that you checked the equipment when you didn't and it ended up doing harm to someone else.

However, in the long run I believe it is best not to lie.  Most people appreciate the honest and that quality seems to go further.  Honesty and loyalty are two qualities that business owners look for when hiring an employee.  Besides telling the truth is a lot easier to remember and your story doesn't change.

Hope that gives you some food for thought.

Barb K
www.LessonPop.com

0
0