Q:

I am looking for CD/book sets to use in the classroom to help my struggling readers.

"Can you help me find the resource? Thank you."

Asked by Mrs. Kraft via email.
In Topics: Helping my child with reading, School and Academics

|

Since I don't know how old your students are, here are some broad suggestions for struggling readers.

Nonfiction - often struggling readers are boys and boys like to read about real things.  Go to your media center and pull a bunch of nonfiction titles on a wide range of topics: cars, animals, space, places, people.  See which ones they seem to be interested in and go back and get more.

Graphic Novels - this fairly new genre is stories written in comic book format.  It is growing in popularity.  If your school doesn't have many, start clipping out the comics from the newspaper.

How To books - kids like to make things and be creative.  Once again your school's media center can help you out.  Get books on cooking, arts and crafts, sewing, building - anything they can make.

Game Magazines - most likely your students are into video games.  Have them read reviews and upcoming products.

Book Series - there are some series that students seem to like more than others.  You may want to read the first one in order to get them interested.  Check with your media specialist for recommendations for your grade level and your students' reading level.  However, there is no stopping a students who wants to read a book that is above their level if they are interested in the main character.

Hope that give you a place to start.  

2
0

ilovechefwilliam
ilovechefwi... , Teacher, Caregiver writes:
What age level of students are you working with?  I work with k-3 children with autism and they love the Shortbooks!  You might want to also talk to your special education person on campus.  Our campus also uses PCI reading and Earobics.  The librarian is always a good source too.  I think a lot of your question depends on the grade level that you are working with.

0
0
m.nelson
m.nelson writes:
I love the program we use at my school district.  It's called the Scobre Press reading program.  There are nonfiction and fiction books all about young adults that my middle school readers really relate to as peers.  I also have all of their nonfiction titles in audiobook format - they provide special MP3 players for their titles, containing audio for all books on two reading levels.  The audio element definitely keeps my readers interested.  If you want to take a look at the program, I think you'll find it here: www.scobre.com

Definitely look at their audiobooks, they have been a real help to my students.

0
0