dgraab , Parent asks:
Q:

How to celebrate Daughter's Day?

At the family dinner table recently, my eight-year-old observed (and complained), "We celebrate Mother's Day and Father's Day. How come we don't celebrate Daughter's Day?!" Our first response was, "Because every day is Daughter's Day!", but then upon second thought, I offered that if she wanted to create such a holiday, that I would celebrate it with her. With that, she immediately declared April 30, 2010 as her first Daughter's Day.  

Now I'm planning what we'll do for this new holiday. In addition to coming up with some ways to celebrate specific to our daughter, I'm also interested in the ideas of other parents. What would you do if you and your daughter were celebrating Daughter's Day?

Thanks for sharing!
In Topics: Parenting / Our Family, Family fun / holiday celebrations

|
I also posted this question to my friends on Facebook. Here are some of the responses I've received...

From a middle school teacher who is pregnant with her first child:
"Listen to that song, "That's my daughter in the water, Everything she knows I taught her". Maybe serve breakfast in bed a la Mother's Day, or maybe just let her choose. She seems to have super ideas!"

From the mother of an eight-year-old daughter:
"Keep your pajamas on all day and decorate cookies."

From the mother of three girls (her oldest age 20; her youngest age 8):
"She gets to tell you what to do all day."

From a mom of a 10-year-old daughter:
"Make a mom and daughter scrapbook."

Your ideas?

1
0
We celebrated our first Daughter's Day by going to the zoo as a family (though not on the original date declared, and instead celebrated on Friday, April 23). We spent the whole day among the animals, and had a truly fabulous time (while squeezing in some learning too). We also let our daughter choose her favorite meals that day. She got to choose the songs we listened to on the radio, and which movie we watched later. Throughout the day, we reminded her how much we loved and appreciated her. It was such a nice day, I think we'll celebrate again next year too!

0
0
Anonymous